This chicken and peas pulao is aromatic, slightly spicy, and oh-so delicious. This quick and simple one pot meal is packed with flavours and makes a perfect weeknight dinner when served with a cucumber raita with hint of spices.
“Oh, I adore to cook. It makes me feel so mindless in a worthwhile way.”
~ Truman Capote
LOVE one pot meals?
Then you sure gonna love this Chicken and Peas Pulao. It is one of the amazing things you will ever taste. The taste is impeccable. 😀
This Chicken Pulao is so inviting and fragrant and is bursting with flavours. Its easy and makes a perfect weeknight supper. This pulao tastes so darn good that I can eat it each day every day. 🙂
Comfort food at its Best!!
Its SUMMER time!! and I am loving it!! So instead of slogging my ass in the kitchen preparing some extravagant meal, I would rather sip on a cool Iced tea and read my favourite book.
Sometimes you just want a hearty meal with your favourite comfort foods but without too much hassle.
Come in the quick and easy One Pot Meals. Total Saviour!!
One pot meals are delicious and can be prepared in a jiffy. Here are few delicious One Pot Meals, you should definitely try that I had made earlier. One Pot Coconut Rice with Prawns topped with Caramelised Onions and Thai Chicken Fried Rice With Homemade Thai Curry Paste.
Chicken Pulao is aromatic and mind-blowingly delicious. Its spices and popping flavours burst in your mouth with every bite, with a slight sweetness from the raisins and a crunch from the roasted nuts. Goes well with this sweet and spicy cucumber yogurt.
I totally adore cucumber yogurt raita. Especially during hot Summers.
The cucumber raita acts as a cooling balance for spicy dishes like this chicken pulao. The coolness of the yogurt and the cucumber will counteract the spiciness and hotness of the pulao.
The raita is sweet with a hint of spice. I have added a special spice blend to the yogurt which adds a kick to the raita and also a wonderful flavour.
Just dry roast cumin seeds and dried red chilli till they are lightly coloured and the aroma of the spicy and earthy chilli and cumin flavours stimulate your senses. Then whizzed it into fine powder.
The addition of this roasted dried chilli-cumin powder gives it extra zing.
Guys.. this spice blend has a wonderful earthy fragrance. You will definitely love love it… 🙂
Now without wasting anymore time lets just jump straight to the recipe….
- 750 gms Chicken, cut into medium sized pieces (I used chicken drumsticks)
- 350 gms Basmati rice ( washed and soaked for 25 minutes)
- 100 gms cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped
- 4 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Pulao masala (I used MDH pulao masala)
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Cashew nut and almonds
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee/ Oil
- 400 ml hot water
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 green cardamom
- 4-5 cloves
- 10-12 peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cup Yogurt (I used natural yogurt, you can also use greek yogurt)
- 3/4 cup Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- Wash the rice with cold water and soak it for 25 minutes. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee or oil in a large deep thick bottom pan, then temper the oil with cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, peppercorns and bay leaves and sauté until you get a nice aroma of the spices.
- Then add the thinly sliced onions and fry until light gold brown in colour.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Toss in the chicken pieces and fry on medium heat till the chicken pieces loses its raw color and is light brown on all sides.
- Add the green peas, chopped tomato and chopped chillies. Sauté for few minutes.
- Then add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt and mix everything well and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes. The tomatoes will become all soft and mushy and masala will slowly start to release oil.
- Now reduce the heat to low-medium heat and add the yogurt, the pulao masala and the garam masala and mix well. Then toss in the raisins and the nuts.
- Cook for further 10 mins until you see oil separating from the sides and the chicken is almost 80% cooked. Check the seasoning. Add half tsp sugar and salt as per taste.
- Now add the basmati rice to the chicken masala and give a nice stir so that the rice grains are coated with the tasty chicken masala.
- Pour 400ml of hot water to the rice chicken mixture and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and cover and cook for 20- 25 minutes. Check if the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Heat a skillet on low heat and add cumin seeds and dried red chillies.
- Dry roast the cumin and chillies stirring frequently taking care not to burn the spices.
- Roast for 7-8 minutes at very low heat till you get a strong spice smell.
- Cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Cut the cucumber into thin slices. (you can also grate it)
- Add the yogurt to a bowl and whisk it. Add salt, sugar and a 1 tsp of roasted cumin-chilli powder (you can add more or less according to your taste) and stir everything well.
- Add the cucumber to the yogurt and mix.
- Top it with some fresh coriander leaves and some of the roasted powder.
- Serve the Chicken and Peas Pulao with this delicious Sweet-spicy Cucumber Raita.
Hope you enjoy making and eating this Chicken and Peas Pulao as much as I do.. 😀
Fancy More One Pot meals.
Have a great week and a fabulous weekend ahead!!