Today’s recipe is Hotdog Pizza with Caramelised Onion and Jalapenos. Yes, you heard it right?! Hotdog and pizza together! Two of my comfort food combined together into a fun and easy family dinner… 😀
This Hotdog pizza is a fun way to enjoy those same loveable flavours in a different form. It never ceases to amaze me the interest that’s generated simply by serving an all-time favourite in a different shape.
Get all the flavour of a Hotdog… with the convenience of a pizza! 🙂
This delicious pizza is topped with everything you would get in a Hotdog : Hotdog sausages, Caramelised onions, ketchup, mustard sauce, jalapenos and a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. So is your stomach growling yet?? 🙂
My stomach growls every time I think of this pizza. So, enjoy the weekend, perhaps by making yourself this easy-peasy Hotdog pizza.
Sometimes hubby and I get a sudden hankering for the same kinda things.. Just like today, both of us were craving hotdogs, Yumm!!
Frankfurter sausages: check; caramalized onions: check; ketchup:check; Mustard sauce:check; Jalapenos:check; Hotdog buns: 🙁 unfortunately no hotdog buns were available at the nearest stores. 🙁
So after major thinking.. like major thinking!… hmmmmm.. Both of us came up with the same idea at the same time… Great minds think alike you know!! .. haha 😉
Hotdog Pizza!! Cheesy hotdog pizza .. can anything get better than this!.. And it was devoured with an equal amount of gusto..
We are a household that loves pizza and according to us homemade Pizza taste much better then a restaurant or store bought version, and we like the fact that we can customise them to suit our taste.
I was super excited about making this pizza! The key to a really good pizza is, of course, the crust. So, I quickly churned up the pizza dough. This dough comes together in just a few minutes. Set it aside for the dough to rise. Meanwhile I caramelised the onion & cut the sausages into 3/4th of an inch. The base sauce I used in this pizza is Mustard and ketchup sauce mixed together. The mustard-ketchup sauce was slightly sweet, slightly tangy with a little kick.
Hubby and me both prefer our crust on the thinner side. I divided the dough into 3 parts; rolled out the 2 medium sized pizza base until its about 1/4th of an inch thick and froze 1 batch of dough for later use. Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into the centre of the pizza and spread it out to the edges. Pile on all of your toppings. and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
The caramelised onions brought a different sweetness to the table. All of these toppings were combined with sausages and all of that held together by ooey-gooey cheesy goodness.
- 500 grams Strong bread flour+ 2-3 tablespoon extra
- 2 teaspoon fast action yeast
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Oilve oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 350 ml warm Water
- 8-10 Hotdogs, cut into 3/4th inch pieces
- 4 medium Onions, sliced
- 3-4 tablespoon Sweet and spicy Ketchup
- 3-4 tablespoon Mustard sauce
- Jalapenos, as required
- Chilli flakes(if desired)
- Salt and sugar
- 2 teaspoon olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 250˚ C or as hot as it will go. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the centre part of the oven.
- Mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and let it stand for a few minutes.
- Sift the flour and salt on to a clean work surface and make a well in the middle. Now pour the mixture into the well. Bring the flour in gradually from the sides and keep mixing and working the rest of the flour in with your flour-dusted hands. Work in more flour one tablespoon at a time until it is smooth. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough.
- Now place the dough in a large oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room for about an 45 minutes to one hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands.
- This amount of dough will make 3 medium sized pizza. Divide the dough into 3 balls ( I made 2 medium sized pizza and froze remaining dough)
- Roll out the dough using a rolling pin until it reaches 1/4th of thickness or as you desire.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of olive oil, add the onions and a good pinch of salt and cook very slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When onions are softened and slightly browned, add sugar, this will start the caramelisation process. Cook onion over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Mix ketchup and mustard together.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into the centre of the pizza and spread it out to the edges. Pile on the sausages, caramelised onions and jalapenos and the cheddar and mozzarella cheese toppings.
- Slide your pizza onto the baking stone in the oven (If you don't have a baking stone, bake the pizza right on the baking sheet).
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden-brown and the cheese is all melted and toasted.
- Remove the pizza from oven and let it cool on a wire rack. Repeat with shaping, topping, and baking second pizza.
- Let the pizzas cool for about 2-3 minutes before slicing and scatter with some chilli flakes and serve.
The pizza was great! the combination of Hotdog and Pizza is out of this world! 😀
I hope you enjoy this amazingly easy Hotdog pizza!! 🙂