Today’s recipe is One Pot Coconut Rice with Prawns topped with Caramelized Onion. Super simple rice dish which is flavourful and delicate at the same time. Full of flavour from the spices and lovely tiger prawns, this dish comes together in a jiffy. This is such a delicious dish that you have to eat. Simply have to.
Prawns is one of my favourites and I find different ways to enjoy this soft shellfish. This one pot meal is one of them. It is rich with a lightly sweet coconut taste and bursting with flavour.
Prawn Malaicurry is a famous Bengali dish, prawns is cooked in rich coconut milk and spices and enjoyed with hot steaming rice. Since its Summer I am looking for ways to cut short my long stay in front of the stove and oven, but still manage to make some delicious meal in a jiffy. So instead of making the malaicurry and the rice seperately ( Ahh too much work 😉 ) I decided to combine the two (prawns and rice) and make into a One pot meal which can be made in less than half an hour. No hassle at all. 🙂
It requires very few ingredients and as well as very little effort to cook up this fabulous one pot meal. I have topped up the coconut rice with prawn with caramelized onions as it gives a nice sweetness to this dish.
My vegetarian friends you can enjoy this lovely dish too.. Just omit the prawns and instead paneer (cottage cheese) or add nuts and raisins. Its tastes absolutely divine with dried fruits.. 🙂
Coconut Rice with Prawns topped with Caramelized Onion has become one of my favourite, go-to ‘daily meals’. Flavoursome and can be fixed up in a jiffy one pot meal.. 🙂
- 250 grams Prawns, shelled and deveined
- 250 grams basmati rice(or any long grain rice), washed and soaked for 15 -20 minutes and drained
- 450 ml Coconut milk + water
- Whole dry red chillies - 2, broken
- 2-3 cardamom
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- sugar as per taste
- salt as per taste
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Heat a little oil in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Add the chillies, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and saute on medium heat until you get a nice aroma of the spices.
- Now add the prawns and stir, do not over fry the prawns they lose the softness and become rubbery. And as soon as the prawns change colour add in the rice.
- Stir well and add the coconut milk, salt and sugar and bring it boil then reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and fluff it up with a fork or give a stir to separate the rice grains and keep covered and let it cook in its own steam for another 5 mins.
- For the onions, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally.
- After 5-7 minutes, sprinkle some salt and sugar over the onions to help with the caramelization process.
- Let cook on low to medium heat, stirring every few minutes.
- For veggie option, you can skip the prawns and use paneer (cottage cheese) or simply toss in some raisins and nuts.
- Caramelized onion can be refrigerated for several days in an air-tight container.
I hope you enjoy this wonderful One Pot Meal. 🙂
Love one pot meal? why not try my No hassle Spicy Chorizo Rice.
Love Prawns? Why not try my Perfect Summer Pasta- Garlic Prawn Spaghetti with Lemon, Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes.