Today’s recipe is Sweet Chilli Crispy Chickpeas Patty Wraps. It is a delicious and irresistible combination of crispy chickpea patty, crunchy cucumber and lettuce and a generous drizzle of sweet chilli and mayo sauce for that extra chilli kick.
These chickepeas wraps have become something of an addiction. They’re cheap and delicious, and very satisfying. If you’ve never made your own chickpea patty wraps at home, then you’re in for a real treat.
These chickpea patties are not only full of flavor, but they’re lovely and moist on the inside with a slightly crunchy exterior. They’re seasoned with onion, garlic, cumin, coriander and salt, and the texture of these patties are firm, but still light and tender, and doesn’t crumble on touch. I highly recommend to not use canned chickpeas as they simply won’t hold together without adding flour or egg to bind. And besides, patties made from dried chickpeas that have been soaked overnight have a nuttier, more natural taste.
The method to ensure that the patties are crispy on the outside and moist on the inside and to prevent them from sticking during cooking is to pan fry the patties over a low-medium heat. And by pan-frying instead of deep-frying they also require much less oil.
When it comes to Sweet Chilli Sauce, while you can buy it in supermarkets, but it’s also very easy to make your own. Homemade sweet chilli sauce recipe beats the ready-made stuff hands down. We’re always amazed how a few simple ingredients as chilllies, sugar, vinegar and water can be transformed into such an irresistible sauce.
I highly recommend not using canned chickpeas as they simply won’t hold together without adding flour or egg to bind. And besides, patties made from dried chickpeas that have been soaked overnight have a nuttier, more natural taste.
You can wrap up all sorts of salad vegetables together with these chickpea patty. Personally, we love to wrap it up with refreshing salad made from tomato, cucumber and plenty of lettuce. We also reckon that sweet chili sauce plays an essential part in this wrap. Just drizzle a generous amount of sweet chilli sauce and mayonnaise (Yes! I just can’t live without Mayo ;)) and enjoy this delicious wrap.
- 150 grams Dried Garbanzo beans(chickpeas), soaked overnight
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- a handful of coriander/parsley
- salt as per taste
- 6 tablespoon oil
- Whole wheat wraps/pittas
- Mayo (optional)
- 5-6 large Red chillies, halved and desseded(try and keep few)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup White wine vinegar
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of cold water, covered.
- Drain the chickpeas well and place in a food processor with chillies, garlic and coriander.
- Pulse until they form a roughly chopped mixture, pulse more, scraping the sides occasionally, until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture holds together. Let the mixture rest for 30 minutes.
- Take a golf ball-size of the mixture and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over low heat.
- Now fry the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Continue the process with the remaining mixture.
- Now warm up the wraps and layer it with lettuce cucumber tomatoe the patties and drizzle it with sweet chilli sauce. Roll it up and enjoy.. 🙂
- Place the chillies and garlic in the food processor and processes until finely chopped.
- Now place the chopped chillies and garlic in a saucepan with sugar, water and vinegar over a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionaly or until the sugar dissolves.
- Now let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Now store it in a sterelised bottle.
We usually use whole wheat flatbreads for our wraps, but you can serve the same ingredients stuffed in a whole wheat pita pocket if you prefer.
Each falafel and hummus wrap makes a generous-sized portion, so we cut each in half to make them easier to handle.
Hope you enjoy this Amazing Crispy chickpea Wrap.. 😀