Aamer Tok Dal or Toker dal, a Bengali delicacy during summer is a tangy and creamy lentil soup made with raw mango (kacha aam). Toker dal is very easy to make and can be whipped up super quick when cooked in a pressure cooker.
Hope you and your loved ones are safe and sound.
In India, summer usually screams lots and lots of mangoes, raw and ripe both. And we enjoy ripe mangoes as it is or make desserts. and the raw ones we usually make spicy tangy aachar or make a refreshing dal like this Aamer Tok Dal. This Bengali Aam dal, a summer favourite is extremely easy to make at home. And takes up just very little time when cooked in an instant pot or pressure cooker.
Kacha aam diye Toker Dal (Raw mango red lentil)
Sometimes I really miss being in India as we get these delicious ingredients in abundance but here we find some good ones very rarely.
Recently I got hold of kachi kairi (raw mangoes) and instantly knew what I wanted to make with it. This aamer toker dal for me and some aamer mishti aachar for the Mr.
This dal is unbelievably delicious. The tanginess from the raw mango along with the mellow red lentil is just something so refreshing. Toker dal and posto screams comfort for me. True soul food if I must say.
Here are few dal/lentil recipes that you can try.
Aam Tok Dal |Kacha Aam diye Tok Dal
Aamer Tok Dal | Kacha Aam diye toker dal | Raw mango Lentil soup
- pressure cooker
- 1 cup Masoor Dal/ Red lentil
- 2-3 medium Green Mango/Kacha aam/ washed, peeled and thinly sliced, discard the seed.
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2-3 Dried Red chillies
- 1-2 tsp Sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Wash the masoor dal (red lentils) 4 to 5 times with water until the water runs clear.
- In a pressure cooker add the lentil along with raw mango, turmeric powder, salt, 1 tsp oil and 2 1/2 cups of water. Mix everything well.
- Now close the lid and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and let the pressure release naturally. It will take around 10-15 minutes.
- Now let's prepare the tempering. heat oil in small pan and temper it with dried red chillies and mustard seeds.
- When it crackles, add it to the boiled dal and give it a good mix.
- You can adjust the consistency of the dal as per your liking. If you like it thin add more water and bring it boil for 2-3 more minutes. Now check the seasoning and add sugar and salt as per taste.
- Serve it hot with rice and aloo posto.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Aam Tok Dal as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!