Amritsari Chicken Butter Masala is a rich and creamy North Indian chicken preparation. This Amritsari chicken masala is deliciously moreish where the chicken is cooked in a rich and silky textured buttery gravy. Perfectly paired with naan or jeera rice.
Hope you are all well and healthy.
Today I am sharing a super yummy and lip smacking North Indian style chicken masala. It’s rich, it’s buttery coz it is made it in butter. Amritsari chicken masala may sound very similar to Butter Chicken (Chicken Makhani), but it is quite different. Let’s see what are the ingredients used.
What are the ingredients used for making Amritsari Chicken Butter Masala?
Basic pantry essentials are used to make this delicious Amritsari chicken butter masala.
- Green Chillies
- Lemon juice
- Garam masala
- Spices (Chilli powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder)
How to make this buttery chicken masala?
This dish is fairly easy to make. We actually do it in 2 parts.
Firstly, we start by marinating the chicken with yogurt and spices. And then fry the chicken along with the marinade in butter. Continue frying until the chicken is cooked through and the masala is dry and sticking to the meat. Keep it aside.
Secondly we prepare the rich and buttery masala. Heat butter in the pan, add chopped ginger garlic and saute. Then add in the onion paste and saute for few minutes. Next add the dry spices, salt and fry. Pour in the tomato puree and saute with onion and masalas until thick and oil is separation from the masala. Then add the fried chicken in the masala along with water and green chillies, cook for few minutes. Add cream and sugar and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes
Can we substitute butter with oil?
Yes of course we can. But my suggestion is to use butter for the authentic Amritsari flavour.
Here are some delicious chicken recipes that you can.
Amritsari Chicken Butter Masala
Amritsari Chicken Butter Masala | Amritsari Murg Masala
- 1 kg Chicken
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2-1 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt as per taste
For the Chicken masala
- 1 small Onion paste
- 5 medium Tomatoes pureed
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic finely chopped
- 3-4 Green chillies slit
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsps Sugar/sweetener/honey
- 3-4 tbsp Fresh Cream
- Salt as per taste
- 4-5 tbsp Butter
- Add all the ingredients under marination in a large bowl and marinate the chicken for at least 1 hours.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan or skillet on medium high heat and add the marinated chicken in tt along with the marinade.
- Fry the chicken pieces on medium high heat until all water evaporates and the marinade sticks to the chicken and the chicken is cooked through. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile in another pan heat the rest of the butter.
- Add the chopped up ginger and garlic and saute on medium heat for a minute.
- Next add the onion paste and saute.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes until the raw smell disappears and you see the oil separating from the sides.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and salt along with 2 tbsp of water.
- saute for 1-2 minutes or until you see the oil separating from the sides.
- Next add the tomato puree and mix it well with the masala.
- Cook on medium high heat stirring frequently for 10 minutes until the water is evaporated and the masla starts releasing oil.
- Next add the fried chicken to the masala and mix it well. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the slit green chillies along with 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Next add the fresh cream along with sugar/sweetener/honey and garam masala to the chicken masala and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes.
- The masala will be thick and buttery and sticking to the chicken pieces.
- Serve it hot with naan or jeera rice.
I hope you enjoy this Amritsari Chicken Butter Masala as much as we do.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!