Chicken Handi (Restaurant Style Murgh Handi) is one of the popular curries in India. It is mild and creamy (without adding cream) and very flavourful. This restaurant style Chicken Handi made with lots of yogurt and coriander seeds is fairly easy to prepare and makes a perfect week night meal or entertain guests.
Is it just me, or do you also wish you could rewind back to your childhood. Find something that will make you feel all nostalgic for the good ol’ days.
I couldn’t help but take a walk down memory lane. Those lovely evening family and friends get togethers, we kids playing and dancing around to the music, everyone in house playing housie, and then comes the food. Well this Chicken Handi (Restaurant Style Murgh Handi) is definitely one of them. A taste of Nostalgia.
This dish used to be mainly ordered from a nearby restaurant. Ordered?! I know right. I asked that same question, Coz I have seen my mom cook lavish meals whenever we had parties or get together at home. or otherwise too..
Well apparently Chicken Handi is not a Bengali dish and they did not have the luxury of internet or google at that time.
Chicken Handi Restaurant style
Now let’s talk about this unique chicken curry. The name Handi stands for a clay pot or a terracota pot. And this particular curry is traditionally cooked in a clay pot which add more depth to this curry. But If you don’t have one, not a problem guys this curry can be prepared in a pan as well. Now, who has a decent sized clay pot or handi at home now a days. The truth is, it is not even readily available here in the UK.
It is a mild and creamy and oh so flavourful chicken curry. This chicken handi is a yogurt based curry hence the mildness and creaminess. You can also add half cup of cream to this curry, but I did not add cream instead added a cashew and almond paste. It has a beautiful delicate flavour of coriander coz we add crushed coriander seeds in this curry.
If you wish to try more amazing chicken recipes, here is the link to my
Let’s not waste anymore time and check out step by step method of making Restaurant style Chicken Handi.
Chicken Handi | How to make Restaurant style Chicken Handi
- 1 kg Chicken (I used Chicken Legs, but you can also use bonelesss or curry cut as well))
- 1 1/2 cup Yougurt whisked
- 10-12 Cashews & Almonds (5-6 of each Soaked in warm water for 10 mins
- 3 large Onions thinly sliced
- 2 medium sized Tomatos chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2-3 Green chillies chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Chilli powder or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Coiander seeds lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 4-5 tbsp Ghee / Veg oil/ sunflower oil (preferably ghee)
- Heat ghee/oil in a handi(clay pot)/kadhai/thick bottomed pan on medium heat. Then add the onions and fry till it turns lovely golden brown.
- Then add in the ginger garlic paste and fry for a mins or until the raw smell disappears.
- Now toss in the chopped tomatoes, chillies and continue frying until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Now add the dry masalas that is the chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt and half of the crushed coriander seeds mix and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Toss in the chicken pieces and mix everything well with the masala.
- Continue frying for 3-4 mins stirring frequently. The chicken slowly starts releasing water. Now cover and cook the chicken for 15-20 minutes on medium heat, stirring intermittently. (If you are using boneless the cook time will be less, arnd 8- 10 mins)
- When the chicken is almost cooked reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the whisked yogurt, nut paste, sugar, kasuri methi(dried fenugreek leaves) and the rest of the coriander seeds and mix everything well.
- Add garam masala powder and give a good stir. Check the seasoning add salt sugar if required. Cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When you see oil seeping out from the gravy, turn off the gas. The Chicken handi is ready.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves and serve it hot with rice or roti. or naan.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Authentic Chicken Handi as much as we do!