Chinese five spice chicken fried rice is a delicious and aromatic fried rice. This chicken fried rice is a super-easy and a super-speedy supper. It is perfect for weeknight as it is jam-packed with flavour and quick to put together and oh-so delicious!
I am aways for a look out for meals which can be prepared well with in 30 mins or even less, after having my baby . This Chicken Fried Rice is one of those recipes which comes to the rescue when I have very little time on my hands, and I want something delicious to put up on my dining table for my family.
It is loaded with chicken, eggs and different vegetables so it’s a win win kinda recipe. It is amazingly aromatic and delicious and can be eaten on its own. You can use this as an accompaniment to a Chinese gravy like this Szechuan Style Chicken in Chilli Bean Sauce or Kung Pao Chicken with Cashewnuts.
So what is Chinese 5 spice?
Chinese five spice is an aromatic blend of five or more intense and aromatic spices. It most commonly is a mixture of star anise, Sichuan peppers, cloves, Chinese cinnamon and fennel seeds.
This mixture is perfect to use as a dry rubs or as marinades for meats, poultry or fish and can also be used in stews as it is an amazingly aromatic spice mixture. I love this spice so much as it has got so much flavour. When you are using this spice, its the only thing you will need.
This Spice blend powder can be easily made at home as most of the spices with which it is made is readily available in your pantry. But since we are talking quick meals I used the store-bought Chinese 5 Spice powder which you will find in the spice section of your superstore.
How easy it is to make this Chinese Five Spice Chicken Fried Rice..
This chicken fried rice is very delicious and is packed with amazing flavour.
I used green beans, carrots, green peas, corn and red peppers in this fried rice. You can add any other vegetables you like. I cut the chicken in to very small bite sized pieces and also finely chopping the vegetables helps reduce the cooking time. Chinese five spice marinated chicken, scrambled eggs, lots of veggies and the amazing sauce mixture. The Sauce mixture has a surprise element, its consists of soy sauce, vinegar, Chinese 5 spice and Sriracha.
Yup! you heard it right. Sriracha, a spicy red-hot chilli sauce, adds a whole new dimension to this chicken fried rice. It definitely amps up the flavour of this fried rice. So you can imagine how amazing this tasted. It is just like a little party for your palate.
Don’t be disheartened my vegetarian friends. Simply substitute chicken for some silken TOFU.
For healthier option replace white rice with brown rice.
For Keto option just use cauliflower rice instead of white rice.
- 250 gms Chicken breast, cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Red pepper, cut into very small cubes
- 1 cup Mixed vegetable ( I used carrots, beans, green peas and corn), chopped
- 2 large cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger, chopped
- 4 cups Cooked Rice ( I use long grain rice)
- 4-5 tbsp oil
- salt as per taste
- Chopped coriander and spring onions to garnish (optional)
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce (you can always increase or decrease as per your taste)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- In a bowl take the small chicken pieces and add 1 1/2 tbsps of Chinese 5 spice and say sauce. Mix everything well and keep it aside.
- Now in a small bowl add all the sauce mixture ingredients, mix and keep it aside.
- Beat 2 eggs in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large wok, now add the beaten eggs and scramble it until fully cooked, once ready take it off the heat and keep it aside.
- In the same wok heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium to high heat, add the Chinese 5 spice marinated chicken and stir fry until the chicken is almost cooked for around 3 to 4 mins.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- In the same wok add the the rest of the oil and add the chopped ginger and garlic and sauté for 10 seconds.
- Then add the chopped onions and continue sautéing until translucent.
- Toss in the chopped vegetables and stir fry, add a pinch of salt to it so that the veggies get softened fast.
- When the veggies are almost done, add the chopped red pepper and the fried chicken to the vegetables and mix everything well.
- Now pour the ready sauce mixture and mix everything well.
- Add 4 cups of rice to the fried vegetable and chicken mixture and toss everything well so that the sauce coats the veggies, chicken and rice really well.
- Check the seasoning add salt if required.
- Add the scrambled eggs and toss everything well very lightly.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with chopped coriander and spring onions.
- Serve it hot on its own or with your favourite Chinese dish.
- For vegetarian option just substitute the chicken for some silken TOFU.
- For healthier option replace white rice with brown rice.
- For Keto option just use cauliflower rice instead of white rice.
I hope you enjoy this Chinese Five Spice Chicken Fried Rice as much as we do!
If you need more information on Chinese 5 spice you can check it out here.