Egg Tadka Dal Dhaba Style or Dim Torka is a widely popular Indian roadside dhaba style dal preparation especially in Punjab and Bengal. Hot and spicy moong dal (whole green gram) is cooked with scrambled eggs and served with hot phulkas or roti or tandoori roti. Egg Tadka Dal Dhaba Style is healthy and comforting and very delicious.
Torka dal or Egg tadka dal is a a majorly popular and one of the most loved dish in India especially in Bengal and Punjab. It is mostly prepared in dhabas i.e. Indian road side small food stalls; do not mistake dhaba as restaurants.
In India when ever we did a road trip, we ended up eating our meals in Dhabas. These are not fancy like restaurants with beautiful decor but simple little places that serves amazing food that too super fast and so cheap.
Certain dhaba style dals or dhaba style paneer dishes are simply mouthwatering. You really don’t get the exact flavour and satisfaction when eating those dishes in restaurants.
My encounter with this Egg tadka dal was in a dhaba in West Bengal as well. There are certain food that leaves a mark (in a very good way) on your mind and pallet and this is definitely one of them. The taste and flavour still lingers in my mouth. Yumm!
Dimer Torka (Egg Tadka dal)
Let’s talk about this Tadka dal. It is highly nutritious and healthy and delicious. A complete protein packed dish. Serve it with rice or roti or you can even enjoy it as it is. Have you realised it is good for kids too. Just alter the spiciness according to their taste. Voila! you are good to go. Toddler/Kid friendly healthy dal ready.
Egg tadka dal is extremely easy to make. This lentil dish is made with whole moong dal or green gram. You can also make it with split moong dal. It is best to soak the lentil over night in some cold water. The next day simply pressure cook it for 2 to 3 whistles.
If like me you get sudden cravings or forgot to soak it the previous night, simply wash and pressure cook it. It will take a bit longer to soften dal but you will get there. And the base masala is the regular spicy onion-tomato masala.
One special ingredient that I like to add in the end is kasoori methi. Please do not skip this, it give a beautiful flavour to the dish.
Click the link if you wish to try delicious Bengali dal recipes
Tetor Dal (Bengali Moong Dal with Bitter Gourd)
Let’s check out the step by step method of making the delicious Dhaba style Egg Tadka.
Dim Torka Dal
Egg Tadka Dal Dhaba Style | How to make Tadka Dal | Moong dal Tadka
- Thick bottomed pan, Pressure cooker
- 1 cup Whole Moong beans (you can also use split moong beans) washed soaked overnight
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 large Onions chopped
- 1 large Tomato chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger- garlic paste
- 2 Green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi
- 2 tbsp Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil
- 1-2 Dried Red C hilli
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp Sugar/sweetener
- chopped Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Add the soaked whole moong dal to a pressure cooker and pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles.
- In a small bowl beat 2 eggs with little salt.
- Heat one tsp of oil in a pan then add the beaten egg and slowly scramble it. remove from heat and keep it aside for later use.
- In the same pan heat the rest of the oil on medium heat. Then add dried red chillies, bay leaves nd cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splatters add chopped onions and fry for 2-3 mins or until golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and continue and sauté for few mins or until the raw smell disappears.
- Toss in the chopped tomato and green chillies and fry until the tomato is soft and mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt and sugar along with 2 tbsp of water and sauté till oil separates.
- Now add the boiled whole moong dal and 1/2 cup of water and mix everything. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Finally add the scrambled eggs with the dal and mix everything well.
- Add kasoori methi, garam masala powder and a tbsp of ghee and give a final stir.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve hot with rice or roti.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Dhaba style Egg Tadka Torka Dal as much as we do!
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.