Today’s recipe is Kashmiri Paneer (Cottage Cheese) in Tomato – Fennel Curry or Kashmiri Tamatar Chaman. A popular Kashmiri paneer preparation made with pieces of fried paneer (cottage cheese) simmered in tomato sauce flavoured with spices and fennel seeds. It makes a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Kashmiri Paneer (Cottage Cheese) in Tomato – Fennel Curry an extremely delicious Kashmiri Indian preparation can be enjoyed as a side dish with naan, Indian style flat bread or with hot steamed rice.
Paneer never ceases to lure hubby or me to the dinner table. Paneer or cottage cheese is a type of fresh cheese or white cheese very common in Indian cuisine. It can be easily made at home with milk, it’s completely vegetarian. Paneer is very versatile ingredient and has a delicate flavour which is used in a variety dishes from curries to desserts to sides. It is moist and soft and is crumbly in texture that goes beautifully with strong flavours and is also one of my all time favourite ingredients. 😀
I always find myself carried away by the aroma and appearance of this sumptuous dish prepared with paneer (cottage cheese) in tomato gravy.
The sweet aroma of fennel elevates this ordinary tomato based curry to something quite elaborate. You would be surprised how simple this recipe is. It is ideal to cook this with fresh tomatoes, which are blanched (boiled whole and then skinned) and then added to the curry although you can also use tinned plum tomatoes ( which I do!! ) or tomato puree which gives it a thick gravy and also is a quick option. That’s my little cheat! 😉
- 250 grams Paneer ( Cottage Cheese), cubed
- 5 Tomatoes, blanched
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2 Green cardamom
- 2 bay leaf
- a pinch of hing( asafoetida)
- 1 teaspoon Fennel powder
- 3-4 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- salt as per taste
- Add onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic in a mixer and grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil for shallow frying paneer. Fry the paneer pieces in batches. You basically just want to get a golden hue in places.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil, add cumin seeds and hing, once the seed splutter add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and bay leaves.
- Now add the grinded tomato-onion paste and cook it well for 12-15 minutes or until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chilli powder, fennel seed powder and turmeric powder and saute well. add salt and sugar and continue cooking.
- Now add the fried Paneer into the gravy and mix well.
- Cook until oil floats to top again and you reach the desired consistency in gravy. check the seasoning and adjust as per taste.
- Ideally this dish is slightly thick.
- In the end add the garam masala powder and mix well.
- Serve it hot with roti, naan or steamed rice.
Hope you like this Kashmiri Paneer in Tomato Gravy!! 🙂
You may also like Paneer with Potatoes and Peas Curry.
Have a great day!! 😀