Malvani style Chicken Curry is a spicy and flavourful chicken recipe from the coastal region of Maharashtra – Malvan. Authentic Malvani chicken curry is made with hot and aromatic homemade Malvani masala and lots of coconut. A perfect chicken curry for all the spice lovers out there.
Malvan is a western coastal region of Maharashtra. Malvani cuisine or Konkani cuisine is quite popular for its amazing seafood and chicken recipes. Just like South Indian cuisine, Konkani cuisine also uses coconut in their food quite liberally. Due to its abundance
Growing up in Mumbai, exposed me to a very rich authentic Malvani /Konkani cuisine. My love for konkani food started way early in my life, thanks to all my Konkani friends and excellent Malvani restaurants. As much as I enjoy the chicken rassa, I thoroughly love all their seafood dishes. Their fish fries, their curries. Simply heaven!
Homemade Malvani Masala
Malvani masala is an amalgamation of aromatic and warm Indian spices. Thanks to my Konkani friends, I make my own authentic Malvani masala at home. I am not happy with the store bought malvani masala. The ingredients may seem endless and intimidating but trust me the end result will blow your mind and palate.
Spices like coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, sesame seeds, fennel seeds, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms, black cardamom. mace, nutmeg, pinch of hing, desiccated coconut and lots of dried red chillies to make the Malvani masala. All these spices are roasted together and ground into a fine powder. You can’t imagine how aromatic this masala is. You have to make it to know it.
How to make Malvani Chicken Curry?
Malvani chicken curry is one of the flavourful and spicy dish. Look at that colour of the curry. Just mind blowing isn’t it! A perfect balance of spiciness from the chillies and slight sweetness from the coconut. You can obviously adjust the spiciness according to your taste.
It is one of the simplest chicken curry recipes ever. Juicy chicken pieces cooked with malvani masalas and coconut-onion paste.
Coconut-onion paste: Roast the coconut and onion together until nice and golden brown. Grind into a paste before adding to the chicken.
That is it! Check out the step by step recipe to know how it is made.
Here are some delicious chicken recipes that you may like.
Malvani Chicken curry | How to make chicken curry with Malvani masala
- large thick bottomed pan
Homemade Malvani Masala
- 8-10 Dried red chillies (*Check notes)
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp tsp Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 blades Mace
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 1 Star anise
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3-4 Green Cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 10 Black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Desiccated coconut
- Pinch of Hing
To onion coconut paste
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 3-4 large Garlic
- 1 tbsp Oil
For the curry
- 1 1/2 kg Chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- Handful coriander leaves
- Marinate the chicken with ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside.
- Roast all the ingredients under malvani masala until you get a nice nutty aroma.
- Take it of the heat and let it cool for few minutes. Then ground into fine powder.
- In a large thick bottomed pan/kadhai heat a table spoon of oil on medium heat and add the sliced onions and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until soft.
- Then add the freshly grated coconut to the onions and roast them for 10-12 minutes until nicely roasted and golden brown in colour.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool for some time and grind it into a paste with some water.
- Add the rest of the oil to the same pan and heat it on medium flame. When the oil is hot add bay leaves and chopped onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions turn golden brown.
- Toss in the marinated chicken and fry for 5 minutes until it is brown on all sides and no longer raw.
- Then add the prepared malvani masala powder to the chicken and stir everything well.
- Then stir in the onion- coconut paste to the chicken. Cook the chicken along with the masalas for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add 3 cups of water to the chicken, cover and cook the chicken stirring intermittently. Check the seasoning add salt if required.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and you see the oil floating on top.
- Sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves and take it off the heat.
- Serve it hot with rice, roti or kombdi vade.
I hope you enjoy this Malvani style Chicken Curry recipe as much as we do.