Shorshe paneer (Cottage Cheese in Mustard Gravy) a Bengali delicacy where the paneer/chana is cooked in creamy and pungent mustard yogurt gravy and green chillies and all it takes is 15 minutes. Enjoy this shorshe paneer with hot steaming rice.
Paneer/ cottage cheese/ chana plays a very important role in Bengali cuisine. I say so because most of the Bengali sweets are made of freshly prepared paneer/chana. Soft, delicious world famous Bengali sweets like rasgullas, cham cham, sandesh, the list is endless. Well, if you wish to try making Bengali sweets at home then here is my take on Bengali Chanar Sandesh that you can try.
Not only sweets but we Bengalis love our spicy chana/paneer curries as well. Speaking of spicy, this shorshe means mustard and paneer means cottage cheese is one deliciously spicy dish as it is loaded with green chillies and mustard oil and mustard paste(shorshe bata). The texture of the paneer is simply amazing. This Shorshe Paneer is sure shot a crowd pleaser.
Mustard paste Ingredients
All the ingredients to make make this mustard paste are easily accessible.
Here is what you will need:
- Mustard seeds
- White poppy seeds/posto
- Cashew nuts
- Green chillies
- Grated coconut
Can I use store bought mustard paste?
Yes, you can!
British market is loaded with mustard paste and I do like to use Coleman’s mustard paste sometimes. But nothing beats a freshly prepared mustard paste at home.
How to make shorshe paneer/cottage cheese in mustard gravy/sarson paneer?
This Chana/Paneer Shorshe is extremely easy to make. There is nothing much to do. Really..
Just marinate the paneer with yogurt, prepared mustard paste and green peas. Then cook it in mustard oil along with some more green chillies for 10-15 minutes. Tadaaaaa!!! All done and ready to be served with hot steaming rice.
If you can not find paneer at your nearest store, then make you own. Here is my recipe to fresh homemade PANEER.
Try this Shorshe Paneer. You will surely like it!
Here are few delicious Paneer (cottage cheese) recipes that you can try.
Paneer cooked in Mustard sauce
Shorshe paneer (Cottage Cheese in Mustard Sauce) | Shorshe Narkel Paneer
- large thick bottomed pan
- Large bowl
- 250 gma Paneer Cut into cubes and marinate with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup Green peas
- 2-3 Green chillies, slit
- 5-6 tbsp Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder plus extra for marinating paneer pieces
- 1 tsp Sugar/sweetener
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- handful coriander leaves chopped
Ground to paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Posto/white poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- 8-9 cashew nuts
- 2 green chillies
- Soak the mustard seeds and poppy seeds in 3-4 tbsp of lukewarm water for 5 mins.
- Then add the cashew nuts, grated coconut and green chillies to the mustard seeds and poppy seeds and ground to a fine paste.
- In a large bowl add the yogurt, turmeric powder, salt, sugar and the prepared mustard paste and mix everything well. Now tip in the paneer pieces, green peas and 1 tbsp of mustard oil and mix.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of mustard oil in a large pan. Allow it to smoke then lower the heat and let it cool a bit. Then temper the oil with green chillies.
- Once they splatter slowly pour the paneer yogurt mustard mixture and stir everything well. Now cover and cook for 10 -15 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- When you see the oil separating from the sides, take it off the heat.
- Serve it hot with rice.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Shorshe Paneer as much as we do!