Tindora Coconut Fry (Tendli Bhaji with Coconut) is a super easy and flavourful curry made with ivy gourds or tindora. Tindora/tendli is cooked in onion-tomato masala and topped with a generous amount of freshly grated coconut. Serve it with rice or roti to make a healthy and yummy weeknight meal.
Today I am sharing one of my favourite ivy-gourd recipe with you. This is actually how I have been eating tindora/tendli as long as I can remember. Maa always prepares this tindora coconut fry at home. It is slightly spicy, slightly tangy with a hint of sweetness. It is just delicious. So basically this is my mom’s recipe that I am sharing with you today. Hope you enjoy it.
Whenever I visit my local Indian grocery store (which is like weekly), I always come back home with a large bag of fresh ivy gourds/gherkins. And the Mr never says no to this veggie as he loves this particular preparation of ivy gourd.
Tindora Coconut Fry (Tendli Bhaji with coconut) according to me a comfort meal when served as a side dish with Bengali Masoor Dal and rice. It’s healthy and delicious and I make it a point to prepare this once a week or two.
I have used the frozen grated coconut in this recipe. There are many brands who sell frozen grated coconut now a days (thank god for that), it’s a relief and reduces so much hard work. You might find this in the frozen section of the superstore or Indian grocery store.
Here are few recipes that you can try.
Tindora Coconut Fry | Tendli Bhaji with coconut
Tindora Coconut Fry | Tendli Bhaji with coconut | Dondakaya Kobbari Vepudu recipe
- large thick bottomed pan/kadhai
- 500 gms TIndora/ Tendli/ Ivy gourd washed and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 large Onion thinly slices
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 2-3 Green chillies, slit
- 1/2 cup Coconut, grated I have used frozen here. If you can not get hold of fresh coconut then simply substitute it with dessicated coconut.
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Dried red Chilli
- 1 tsp Sugar/ Sweetener / Jaggery (optional)
- Salt (as per taste)
- 3 tbsp Veg Oil/ sunflower oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in large thick bottomed pan/kadhai on medium-high heat. When hot temper it with dried red chillies and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start splutter add the sliced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Then add the grated ginger and saute for 10-20 seconds.
- Toss in the chopped tomatoes and mix it well. cook for 1-2 mins until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder along with salt and mix it well with the masala. Saute for few seconds.
- Now add the tindora/ tendli/ ivy gourd and mix it well with the masala. Suaté for 1 minute.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 14-15 minutes stirring intermittently or until the tindora becomes soft.
- Add the grated coconut and sugar/sweetener/jaggery and mix everything well. Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes
- FInally add chopped coriander leaves and take it off the heat.
- Enjoy it with rice or rotis or parathas.
I hope you enjoy this Tindora/tendli coconut fry as much as we do!