Fish Orly | FIsh Batter Fry | Fish Butter Fry Bengali Style
Fish Orly (Fish Butter Fry or Fish Batter Fry) is an Indian take on the classic British Fish and Chips. Buttery soft white fish coated with crispy and fluffy outer coating tastes absolutely mouthwatering and delicious when served with tartare sauce o kasundi.
Servings: 6 people
Large frying pan
- 600 gms White Fish Fillet (Basa, cod, Haddock, Bhetki, Sea Bass)
- Oil for deep frying (Vegetable/Sunflower)
- 1 small Onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger roughly chopped
- 3-4 large Garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1-2 green chillies roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Lime/lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- Salt (as per taste)
- 3/4 cup All purpose Flour/Maida
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch of Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Egg (Free range)
- Salt (as per taste) (remember that we have already added salt in the marination so add salt wisely)
- 3/4-1 cup Water/Soda / beer
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Onion Finely chopped
- 1 Green chillies Finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Sugar/sweetener
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Marinate Fish Fillet
Add onion, ginger , garlic and green chillies in a mixer grinder and ground it into a paste.
Place the fish fillet on a large plate and sprinkle them with salt and pepper and the ground paste. Make sure the fish fillet is coated well with the marinade. Marinate it for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Prepare the Batter
Add all the dry ingredients like all purpose flour, corn flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pepper powder, chilli powder in a large bowl and and mix it well.
Now add in the egg and water/soda/beer and whisk it to make a semi thick but flowy batter. Keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Make tartare sauce
In a small bowl add the mayonnaise, chopped onion, green chill, lemon juice, salt, sugar and give it a good mix. Now refrigerate and serve it chilled with the fish fry.
Fry the fish
Heat enough oil in a frying pan to deep fry the fish.
Dip the fish fillet in the prepared thick obatter and coat it well. Now slowly and carefully drop it into the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown.
Serve it immediately with some chips and tartare sauce or some kasundi.