Fish Orly or Fish Butter Fry or Fish Batter Fry is an Indian take on the classic British Fish and Chips. Buttery soft well seasoned white fish with crispy and fluffy outer coating tastes absolutely mouthwatering and delicious when served with tartar sauce or kasundi.
Hi my lovely friends!
Hope you are all well and healthy.
Bengali Style Fish Orly is something that has been in my mind for sometime now. Finally I am sharing this amazing recipe with you. It is a one of the most popular fish recipe that has been and still makes an appearance in the menu of Bengali wedding ceremonies. I remember munching on this crispy fish batter fry or Fish butter fry served as a starter in my cousins marriage. Oh simply melt in the mouth.
Fish Orly is basically seasoned fish dipped in semi thick egg- flour batter. And deep fried until golden brown and crispy. Serve it with some chilled tartar sauce or kasundi along side with some potato fries to make a love light meal. My little one love and enjoys having this fish orly and fries as a meal. And so do my guests, it makes a love light appetizer in parties.
What are the ingredients used to make this Fish Batter Fry?
Bengali style Fish orly is a fairly easy recipe. The fish is marinated for some time with very little ingredients and then dipped in the batter and fried. You can make fish orly you can use white fish fillets like bhetki, basa, cod, haddock, sea bass. Let’s check out the rest of the ingredients.
- Fish Fillet
- Green Chillies
- Lime Juice
- Black pepper powder
- All purpose flour (you can also use wheat flour but authentically it is made with maida/all purpose flour)
- Corn flour
- Chilli powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Here are few fish recipes that you can try.
Fish Butter Fry | Fish Batter Fry | Fish Orly
Fish Orly | FIsh Batter Fry | Fish Butter Fry Bengali Style
- Large bowl
- Large frying pan
- mixer grinder
- 600 gms White Fish Fillet (Basa, cod, Haddock, Bhetki, Sea Bass)
- Oil for deep frying (Vegetable/Sunflower)
- 1 small Onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger roughly chopped
- 3-4 large Garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1-2 green chillies roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Lime/lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
- Salt (as per taste)
- 3/4 cup All purpose Flour/Maida
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch of Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Egg (Free range)
- Salt (as per taste) (remember that we have already added salt in the marination so add salt wisely)
- 3/4-1 cup Water/Soda / beer
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Onion Finely chopped
- 1 Green chillies Finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Sugar/sweetener
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Marinate Fish Fillet
- Add onion, ginger , garlic and green chillies in a mixer grinder and ground it into a paste.
- Place the fish fillet on a large plate and sprinkle them with salt and pepper and the ground paste. Make sure the fish fillet is coated well with the marinade. Marinate it for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Prepare the Batter
- Add all the dry ingredients like all purpose flour, corn flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pepper powder, chilli powder in a large bowl and and mix it well.
- Now add in the egg and water/soda/beer and whisk it to make a semi thick but flowy batter. Keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Make tartare sauce
- In a small bowl add the mayonnaise, chopped onion, green chill, lemon juice, salt, sugar and give it a good mix. Now refrigerate and serve it chilled with the fish fry.
Fry the fish
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan to deep fry the fish.
- Dip the fish fillet in the prepared thick obatter and coat it well. Now slowly and carefully drop it into the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve it immediately with some chips and tartare sauce or some kasundi.
I hope you enjoy this Fish Orly (Fish Butter Fry) as much as we do.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!