Amritsari Fish Fry recipe (Amritsari Macchi) is a crispy, crunchy and delicious gluten free Indian style fish fry. This battered fish fry is made with white fish coated in Indian spices, gram flour or besan, carom seeds, lime juice and yogurt. This Amritsari fish is a must try for all fish lovers!
Being a Bengali, fish has always been an integral part of our diet. Well it’s the other wise for my husband though, not a fish lover. But he never says no to this deeeelicious crispy crunchy fish fry.
And truth to be told this Amritsari fish or need I say fish pakora is quite unique than many other fish recipes that we usually prepare.
I call it fish pakora because the fish is coated in besan (gram flour) just like pakoras. Also making it gluten free fish fry.
This Amritsari macchi is tangy and spicy in one word chatpata (piquant). The ginger garlic, lime juice marinated fish is coated with vinegar, gram flour, rice flour (which add extra crunchiness to the fish fry), carom seeds (ajwain), chilli powder. then deep fried to perfection.
Amritsari macchi is my go to recipe. All 3 of us absolutely love this delicate fish pakora.
What are the ingredients used in Amritsari Fish Fry Recipe?
- White firm fish (Basa, cod, bhetki)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste
- lime juice
- Chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Gram flour
- Rice flour
- Carom seeds / Ajwain
- Pinch of baing soda
- Oil gor deep frying
How to make Amritsari Macchi?
Start by marinating the fish with lime juice, ginger garlic paste, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder. marinate for 10 minutes. Next add in the gram flour, rice flour, egg, carom seeds, yogurt, vinegar, baking soda and mix everything well. Now mix it really well (with hands preferably). Coat all the fish pieces well with the marinade. Keep it aside for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Heat enough oil to deep fry the fish on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, drop few marinated fish into the oil and fry. Do not over crowd the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until it turns crispy and golden brown on both the sides. Remove the crispy fried fish with a skimmer and keep them on a kitchen towel to drain excess oil. Continue with the rest of the marinated fish.
Serve it hot with spicy green chutney along with how cup of tea.
Here are some delicious fish recipes that you can try.
Amritsari Fish Fry (Amritsari Macchi)
Amritsari Fish Fry | Amritsari Macchi | Indian gluten free Battered Fish fry
- Large bowl
- deep frying pan
- 500 grams White fish like Basa, Cod, bhetki cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 large Lime juice juice of 1 large lime or lemon
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup Gram flour/Besan
- 1 tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 2 tbsp Rice flour
- Pinch of Baking soda
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Yogurt
- 1 Free range Egg
- Salt as per taste
- Veg/Sunflower Oil for Deep frying
- Marinate the fish with lime juice, ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix everything well. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add the yogurt, gram flour/besan, rice flour, carom seeds, vinegar, egg, baking soda.
- Now mix it really well (with hands preferably). Coat all the fish pieces well with the marinade. Keep it marinated for 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry the fish on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, drop few marinated fish into the oil and fry. DO not over crowd the pan.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until it turns crispy and golden brown on both the sides. Remove the crispy fried fish with a skimmer and keep them on a kitchen towel to drain excess oil. Continue with the rest of the marinated fish.
- Serve it hot with spicy green chutney along with how cup of tea.
I hope you enjoy this chatpata Amritsari Fish Fry as much as we do.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!