Kolambi Bhat ( Prawns Pulao) is a one pot Maharashtrian Style prawns rice. This aromatic, spicy & absolutely flavourful marathi kolambi bhat recipe is spiced with fresh homemade goda masala (Maharashtrian blend of spices). This lip smacking prawns rice with some raita make a quick, easy and perfect weeknight meal.
I have a serious weakness for prawns, serious weakness. All those plump juicy prawns. Just yum!!
This time I whipped up a quick Maharashtiran style prawns rice which is flavoured with freshly homemade goda masala. Oh the smell of that freshly made spice blend (goda masala) is just delightful.
What is Goda Masala?
Maharashtrian Goda masala is a blend of warm Indian spices like coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves peppers, red chillies, bay leaves, sesame seeds and desiccated coconut that is dry roasted and ground together to fine powder
This goda masala is what makes this Marathi Kolambi bhat recipe different from other prawns rice.
What is Kolambi Bhat?
Kolambi stands for prawns/shrimp and Bhat stands for rice in Marathi. It is a maharashtrian style rice preparation with prawns from the Konkan region. Kolambi bhat is a spicy and very flavourful one pot or instant pot dish that is very easy to make and can be whipped up in no time.
Here are few prawns/shrimp recipes that you can try.
Kolambi Bhat Recipe (Maharashtrian Prawns Pulao)
Kolambi Bhat | Maharashtrian Prawns pulao
- Instant pot / pressure cooker
- 300 grams Prawns/Shrimps
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (arnd 275 grams) Soaked in cold water for 15-20 minutes
- 2 large Onions (arnd 2 cups) chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 large Tomatoes chopped
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 3-4 Cloves
- 3-4 Cardamoms
- 8-10 Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2+1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4-5 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- 1 can Coconut Milk (optional)
Goda masala ingredients
- 1 Dried red Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorn
- 1 Black cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup Dried/ desiccated coconut
TO make Goda masala
- Dry roast all the ingredients under goda masala on low to medium heat until you get a nice aroma of all the spices.
- Take it off the heat and let it cool for few minutes. Then grind it into a fine powder and keep it aside.
TO make Kolambi Bhat
- Marinate the prawns with 1/4th tsp turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for later use.
- Heat a pressure cooker on medium high heat and add ghee or oil. First temper it with some ghee.
- Temper the ghee/oil with bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves peppercorns and sauté.
- Next add the chopped onions and saute for 4-5 minutes until soft and turns light brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears.
- oss in the tomato and saute for 2 minutes until soft and mushy.
- Now add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt and sugar (if using) along with 2 tbsps of water and mix everything well. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the yogurt and goda masala and mix it well.
- Toss in the marinated prawns and green chillies and mix it well with the masala. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly until the prawns don't look raw anymore.
- Now add the washed and drained rice and stir everything well, so that teach and every rice grain is coated with the masala. (At this point you can add a little raisins if you wish to. It's totally optional). Add 4 cups of hot water and stir. Do a taste test and add salt if required.
- Add coconut milk along with 2 1/2 cups of hot water and stir. Do a taste test and add salt if required. Put on the lid and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles on medium high heat.
- Once the pressure settles down, open the lid and serve hot with some salad and yogurt.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Kolambi Bhat as much as we do.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!