Lamb Chana Masala is a North Indian style super delicious and spicy chickpeas curry made with lamb or mutton. This flavourful Indian curry goes perfectly with parathas or naan.
Few days back we did a lovely bbq party, and in the end I was left with very little amount of lamb. Not enough to make a curry. So I ended up making this delicious and spicy chana masala with lamb which we mopped up with parathas. It was just tooo good. You can replace lamb with mutton or chicken or even paneer.
I love chana masala (the vegetarian one) but adding some meat really did oomph up the Indian chickpeas curry. Lamb and chickpeas/garbanzo beans together is just awesome together. You have to make it to know it. 😉
You can also replace the lamb with mutton or beef or even chicken in this chana masala. It tastes amazing with all.
What are the ingredients used for chole masala with meat?
Very basic ingredients are required to make this lamb chana masala.
- Chickpeas/chole/chana/garbanzo beans
- Ginger-garlic paste
- Turmeric powder
- chilli powder
- Cumin powder
- Coriander powder
- Coriander seeds
- Garam Masala powder
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Whole spice (Bay leaves, Cinnamon ,Green Cardamom, black cardamom, cloves, Dried red Chilli)
- Ghee/ Oil
This chana curry is super easy to make and comes together in 30 to 40 minutes when cooked in a pressure cooker or instant pot. In the end I had added fried onions and squeezed
Here are few chole and lamb/mutton recipes that you can try.
LAMB CHANA MASALA
Lamb Chana Masala | Lamb/Mutton Chickpea Curry
- ressure cooker
- 1 cup Chickpeas/garbanzo beans/chana washes and soaked over night
- 300 grams Lamb/ Mutton/ beef cut into small 2-3 cms cubes
- 2 large Onions chopped (arnd 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tbsp Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp coriander seeds Roasted and roughly pounded in pestle n motor
- 2 tsp Kasoori Methi
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Sugar/sweetener/jaggery
- Salt as per required
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp fried onions /barista to garnish
- lemon wedges to garnish
- coriander leaves chopped
- 2-3 Bay leaves
- 1 Dried red chilli
- 1 Black cardamom roughly pounded in pestle n motor
- 2 x 1 inch Cinnamon roughly pounded in pestle n motor
- 3-4 Green Cardamoms roughly pounded in pestle n motor
- 4-5 Cloves roughly pounded in pestle n motor
- 3 tbsp Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker/instant pot on medium high heat and the temper it with bay leaves, dried red chillies, cinnamon, cloves, green and black cardamoms.
- Add chopped onions along with some salt (to fasten the process) and saute for 7-8 minutes stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and continue sautéing for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the lamb/mutton and mix it well with onions. fry the meat on the medium high heat until the meat is nice and brown on all sides.
- Now add the yogurt, turmeric , chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt and sauté everything on medium high heat.
- Now add the roasted coriander seeds and mix it well.
- Continue sautéing (bhuno) on medium high for another 5-6 minutes until you see some oil seeping through the masala.
- Toss in the soaked garbanzo beans and mix it well with the lamb and masala.
- Now add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until the chickpeas and the lamb is cooked through
- FInally add kasoori methi, garam masala and ghee in the end and give it a good mix. cook for another minute. Take it off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and fried onion and Serve it hot with a squeeze of lime along with paratha or naan.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Lamb chickpeas curry (Lamb chana masala) as much as we do!
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!