Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is a delicious and spicy dum style kacchi biryani. Soft succulent chicken pieces with aromatic spices, fried onions and fragrant basmati rice is a combination to die for. Follow this step by step recipe to make Hyderabadi dum biryani at home.
Sundays are meant for indulgence and this is what my Sunday meal looked like. HYDERABADI CHICKEN BIRYANI, a delicious and spicy kacchi biryani prepared in dum style. This Hyderabadi Dum biryani is an aromatic and mouth watering with truely authentic flavours.
What is Hyderabadi Biryani?
Hyderabadi biryani is bae. It is one of the best and popular rice dishes in India. So full of exotic flavours, a staple and star dish of South Indian cuisine.
Hyderabadi biryani uses yogurt, fragrant whole spices, coriander leaves, mint leaves, saffron, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, green chilli and crispy fried onions (barista).
TO get the authentic flavours make sure you use all the ingredients listed.
How to make Hyderabadi Kacchi murg biryani?
Kacchi biryani is one of the easiest biryanis to make. The first main thing here is the marination of the meat and the second thing is to use best quality basmati rice. I say this biryani is easy to make because marinated chicken is first layered at the bottom of the casserole or oven safe deep dish and the topped with flavoured half boiled basmati rice along with crispy fried onions, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
Then covered with a tight lid and cooked on dum, until the chicken and the rice is completely cooked through. The chicken is so soft and succulent almost falls off the bone. Serve it with this MIRCHI KA SALAN for the authentic Hyderabadi feel.
Here are few Biryani and Pulao recipes that you can try.
Hyderabadi Chicken Kacchi Biryani
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani | Kacchi Chicken Biryani | How to make hyderabadi chicken biryani in oven
- large casserole or oven safe bowl
- large pot
- Large bowl
- 1 kg Chicken
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 1 Black cardamom roughly pounded in pestle and motor
- 3-4 Green Cardamom roughly pounded in pestle and motor
- 5-6 Cloves roughly pounded in pestle and motor
- 1 inch Cinnamon sticks roughly pounded in pestle and motor
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tsps Biryani masala (optional)
- Salt as per required
- 2/3 cup Yogurt
- 3/4 cup Mint leaves chopped
- 3/4 cup Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Onion Barista (Crispy fried Onions recipe below)
- 2 tbsp oil/ghee
Onion Barista (Crispy fried Onions)
- 5 large Onions (makes around 2 cups of fried onions) Thinly sliced and separate the onions strands by rubbing with your hands.
- Oil for deep frying the onions
For the Biryani Rice
- 500 grams Basmati RIce (arnd 4 cups) washed and soaked for 30 minutes. After 30 mins drain the water and keep it aside
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Shahi jeera
- 1 Black cardamom
- 3-4 Green Cardamom
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1 floret Mace
- 1 Star anise
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 2 tsps Salt
- Small muslin cloth
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves
- Saffron (Generous pinch)
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 cup Ghee
- 1 tsp Kewra water (optional)
- Marinate the chicken with ginger-garlic paste, green chillies, lime juice, shahi jeera, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, bay leaves, biryani masala, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, salt and 2 tbsp of oil or ghee.
- Now marinate the chicken for at least 1- 2 hours.
Prepare the Birista (Crispy fried onions)
- Heat enough oil in deep frying pan to medium heat to deep fry the thinly sliced onions. Now add the onions and fry them on a steady heat stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions starts turning golden stir frequently or else it will burn from the bottom.When the onions turn lovely golden brown in colour drain and place it on a kitchen towel. Keep it aside and let it rest for some time. It makes around 2 to 2 1/2 cus of fried onions.
- After 1 hour, add yogurt, mint leaves, coriander leaves and 1 cup of crispy fried onions.
- Mix it well with the chicken and keep it aside. Meanwhile we get the other things sorted.
Prepare the Biryani rice
- In a muslin cloth add cinnamon, green cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves, star anise, nutmeg and mace. Tie a tight knot into a potli.
- Heat a large pot of water, add the spice bag along with shahi jeera, salt and a tsp of ghee and bring it to a boil. Do a taste test, the water needs to be slightly salty. boil for 4-5 minutes to release the aroma of the spices.
- Now add the rice and bring it to a boil cook the rice till it is half done.
- Drain the water and discard the bay leaves and spice bag. Spread it on a large plate and keep it aside as we start wit the assembly.
- Soak the saffron in warm milk and keep it aside.
Assembling the Hyderabadi Kacchi Biryani (2 ways Oven version and Stove version)
- For the Oven version: Preheat the oven to 175° C. Grease 1 tbsp of ghee in a large oven proof casserole.
- Now add the marinated chicken along with the marinade. Then top it up with 1/2 cup crispy fried onions, 1/4 cup chopped mint, 1/4th cup chopped coriander leaves and half the saffron milk.
- Now add it up with the flavoured half boiled basmati rice. Top it up with the rest of the crispy fried onions, rest of the coriander leaves, mint leaves, saffron milk and ghee.
- Then cover with aluminium foil (with 2 or 3 layers of foil) and tightly close the lid and cook it in the oven for 45 minutes.
- For the stovetop version: follow the same procedure only in a large metal pot with lid. Finally seal the lid with dough. Place the large metal pot on a wide pan and cook it on the lowest heat for 30-40 minutes. Switch off the flame and keep it rested for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve it hot with mirchi ka salan and raita.
hope you enjoy this Chicken Biryani as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!