Samosa Chole Chaat is a delicious North Indian street food with layers of different flavours. This spicy, sweet and tangy samosa chaat recipe is made with crispy Punjabi samosa topped with chole curry, yogurt, tamarind and green chutney and a blend of different spices making it absolutely irresistible.
Weekend calls for some yummy street food!! Don’t you agree?!
And since we are unable to go out and enjoy our favourite street food in our favourite restaurant, I intend to make some at home for all of us to enjoy.
This weekend I made these yummy SAMOSA CHAAT at home.
Preparing each and every item from scratch is a bit laborious. But when the craving strikes, you really can’t help but make it.
What is Samosa Chaat?
Samosa Chaat, the name says it all. Hot crispy samosas are roughly broken with hands and then layered with generous amount chole curry, some chilled yogurt, tamarind chutney and green chutney. Well it doesn’t end here. It is then topped with freshly chopped onion, tomato, coriander leaves, crispy sev with a sprinkle of chaat masala.
Oh can you imagine all the layers of flavours that goes in it. My mouth is literally watering while writing about this yummy samosa chole chaat.
What kind of samosa can we use here?
I have made the Punjabi samosas from scratch here. Making samosa at home may seem a little bit tricky but it is not at difficult. I have perfected the art of making the perfect samosa. Follow the simple step by following this step by step Samosa recipe.
Can we use frozen samosas?
Yes, you absolutely can. If you are able to get hold of some delicious frozen samosa from the supermarket frozen section it will be great. That will make life even better and easier and quicker.
Here are some Indian street food that you can try.
Punjabi Samosa Chaat recipe
Samosa Chole Chaat
For the Samosa Chaat:
- 6-8 Samosas
- Chole (Recipe below)
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 cup Natural or Greek yogurt whisked
- 1/2 cup Green Chutney (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup Sweet tamarind chutney (You can use store bought tamarind sauce)
- 2-3 tbsp Chaat Masala
- 2-3 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
For the Choley:
- 1 cup Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans, soaked over night or you can use 2 can of chick peas.
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsp Chana masala ( I used rajah chana masala)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil
For Green Chutney:
- 1 cup Fresh Coriander leaves, washed
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves , washed
- 2 1/2 cups Greek/natural yogurt
- 2 Green chilli
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Sugar/sweetener
- Salt as per taste
- I have used HOMEMADE PUNJABI SAMOSA in this samosa chaat. FOLLOW THE RECIPE TO MAKE CRISPY SPICY SAMOSA AT HOME.
To make the Choley:
- Add the soaked chickpeas in a pressure cooker along with 2-3 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles. Let the pressure come down naturally, set aside. The beans should be soft but still retain it s shapes.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and temper it with bay leaves and cumin seeds.
- When it crackles add in the onion and sauté until soft and golden brown. Stir in the ginger and garlic paste and fry fro a minutes until the raw smell disappear.
- Next add int he tomatoes and sauté for 7-8 minuses until soft and mushy. Add the Rajah Chana masala along with salt and mix it well with the onion tomato masala. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add the boiled chick peas and mix it well with the masala. Add a cup of water and cover and cook on medium-low for 7-8 minutes. Stirring intermittently.
- Take it off the heat and keep it aside.
To make the Green Chutney:
- Add all the ingredients listed under green chutney in a mixer grinder and whizz it until fine paste.
- It is ready. Keep it aside.
To assemble the Samosa Chaat :
- First break 1-2 samosas and place it on a plate.
- Top it up with a generous portion of the prepared chole/chana masala.
- Then add 2-3 tbsps of curd along with 1 tbsp of spicy green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
- Finally layer it with little chopped onion, tomato, coriander leaves and some crispy sev. sprinkle with some chaat masala.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Samosa Chole Chaat as much as we do.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!