Punjabi Samosa | How to make Perfect Aloo Samosa. Samosa is the most popular Indian street food that is loved by one and all. This deep fried or baked tea time snacks is perfectly flaky and crispy on the outside with a delicious savoury stuffing inside.
Samosa, I think needs no further explanation. It is the most loved and popular street foods not only in India, but all over the world. Most of our parties, birthdays and get together seems to be incomplete without some Punjabi samosa.
This triangular shaped fried pastry can be stuffed with spiced potatoes, peas, cauliflower or meat or cheese.
Today I am sharing potato and peas samosa to which I have added some dried fruits like raisins and cashew nuts, which gives a lovely dimension to the samosa. It is totally optional, but why not add, to give a lovely surprise to your palate and loved ones. These potato and peas samosa can be turned into a lovely chatpata chaat as well.
What ingredients are used to make this Aloo Samosa (Punjabi Samosa)?
For the Aloo Samosa Pastry:
- All purpose flour/Maida
- Ajwain / Carom seeds
For the stuffing:
- Cashew nuts
- Cumin seeds
- Coriander seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Chilli powder
- Garam masala
- Aamchur (Dried mango powder)
- Coriander leaves
Most of the ingredients are absolutely basic and I am sure is easily available in your pantry. Why not try making SAMOSAS at home.
The PERFECT SAMOSA
Making samosa at home may seem a little bit tricky but it is not at difficult. For the perfect crispy flakey pastry, the ratio of oil to flour is very important. I learned this the hard way. Haha…
My husband being the greatest critic was so happy and thoroughly enjoyed this delicious samosa. I can happily say he had gobbled up quite a few in one go. He loved it that I had added some dried fruits in the stuffing as well.
Yess!! Finally, I have perfected the art of making the perfect samosa. Hence I couldn’t wait to share this recipe with you guys.
And the best part is you can bake these samosas in the oven for healthier option. Best samosa ever guys.. Look no further and follow this step by step recipe to make samosa at home.
Here are some delicious Indian snacks/appetizer that you can try.
Punjabi Samosa | How to make Perfect Samosa
Punjabi Samosa | How to make perfect samosa at home
- Large bowl
- deep frying pan
- rolling pin
For the Samosa Pastry Dough
- 225 gms All Purpose Flour/Maida
- 1 tsp Ajwain
- Salt as per taste
- 4 tbsp Veg/sunflower oil (hot)
For the Potato and Peas Stuffing
- 500 grams Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Green peas
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger, grated
- 2-3 Green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Aamchur / Dried mango powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds roasted and crushed in mortar pestle
- 2-3 tbsp Raisins optional
- 3 tbsp Cashew nuts, broken optional
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp Oil / Ghee
- Oil for Deep frying the samosas
Samosa Pastry Dough
- In a large bowl add the flour, ajwain, salt and oil. Mix everything together with hands. When the flour is held together it should form a lump. Next add a little water at a time and knead the dough really well until firm and smooth. Cover and keep it aside.
- DIvide the dough into 5 or 6 dough balls.
Potato and Peas stuffing for Samosa
- Heat oil in a pan/kadhai on medium heat, when hot temper it with cumin seeds.
- When the seeds splatters, add the grated ginger and chopped green chillies and saute for few 10-15 seconds.
- Now add in the boiled mashed potatoes and mix.
- Now add in the boiled mashed potatoes along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, aamchur powder, salt and mix everything together and saute.
- Next add in the green peas, raisins and chopped cashewnuts if using and and mix it well with the potatoes and cook for few minutes.
- Next add in the coriander seeds and coriander leaves and mix everything well and cook for furter 1 minute. Take it off the heat and let it cool.
Assembling the Samosa
- DIvide the dough into 5 or 6 dough balls. Take one dough ball and roll it out into oblong shape to 2-3 mm thickness and cut it in half.
- Take one half and apply water on the longer side. Now fold the longer side and press the edges together to form a cone.
- Fill it with the prepared potato stuffing.
- Now make a small fold at the curved side. This helps the samosa to sit up straight.
- Now brust the edges with water and bring it together. seal it properly. Prepare the rest of the samosas similarly.
- Heat enough oil on medium low heat for deep frying. When the oil is hot add the samosa few at a time and fry on for 7-8 minutes or until it is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve it hot with green chutney or tamarind chutney along with chai.
Oven Baked samosa
- Preheat the oven to 180° C and Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Now place the samosa on it. brush it with oil on all sides.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
I hope you enjoy this Punjabi Samosa | How to make Perfect Samosa as much as we do!