Chicken 65 Kerala Style is a popular hot and spicy Indian appetiser. Chicken pieces are marinated with yogurt that is spiced with Indian spices and deep fried until crispy and golden brown, then flavoured with lots of curry leaves and green chillies. This restaurant style Chicken 65 makes a perfect starter to entertain friends and family.
Hello my lovely friends!!
Back with yet another tea time snacks or party starter. Crispy and spicy succulent chicken pieces flavoured with lots curry leaves and green chillies.
These days since my parents are here my evening tea time has been fantastic. Typical UK rainy weather, great company and good food. What else do you want!
This fried chicken 65 is simply amazing, it was crispy and spicy. The right balance of hot chillies and crisp.
The “cherry on the chicken” was literally how succulent these turned out to be they just vanished in our mouth as soon as we put it in. Chilli garlic sauce added that extra moisture to make it more succulent. This will certainly be my new dish for calling whenever we have parties from now on; simply amazing finger food in no time.
How to make Chicken 65 Kerala Style?
Chicken 65 is extremely easy to make. I have used boneless chicken thighs to make Chicken 65, you can also use boneless chicken breast.
Small chicken pieces are marinated with yogurt and spice paste made with dried red chillies, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, lime juice and black pepper corns.
Then add corn flour and rice four and marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes.
Before frying the chicken add an egg and mix everything well. Heat enough oil to deep fry the chicken pieces. Fry the chicken in batches, drain and keep it aside.
Finally heat a tsp of oil in a pan, add garlic, green chilies and curry leaves and sauté. Then add chilli garlic sauce (I used store bought chilli garlic sauce) and sauté for a minute. Toss in the fried chicken in the prepared sauce. Serve it hot with some more chilli sauce and tea.
Here are few starters or small bites that you may like.
Chicken 65 | How to make Restaurant style Chicken 65
- Large bowl
- Frying pan
- Kadhai/deep frying pan for deep frying
- 500 gms Boneless Chicken I used boneless thighs and cut them into bite sized pieces
- 5-6 tbsp Chilli garlic sauce I used store bought
- 1 tbsp Garlic finely chopped
- 15-20 Curry leaves
- 5-6 Green chillies Sliced
- Oil for deep frying
- 7-8 Dried red chillies
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3-4 large Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black peppercorns
- 2-3 tbsp Lime juice
- 4 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Rice flour
- 1 tbsp Corn flour
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 Egg
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and cut boneless chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add dried chillies, ginger, garlic, pepper corns, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, lime juice and yogurt in a mixer grinder and ground into a thick paste.
- Add the prepared thick masala paste, garam masala powder and salt to the chicken pieces and mix everything well with hands.
- Now add rice flour and corn flour to the marinated chicken and marinate for atleast 30 minutes.
- Add an egg to the marinated chicken and mix everything well before frying the chicken.
- Heat enough oil in a pan on medium heat for deep frying the chicken. Start frying the chicken in batches.
- Fry until its crispy and golden brown in colour. Drain and keep it aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil (from the fried chicken oil) in a pan on medium heat. Add chopped garlic, sliced green chillies and curry leaves and sauté for 10-20 seconds.
- Now add the chilli garlic sauce and sauté for a minute.
- Toss in the fried chicken and mix it well with the sauce and curry leaves.
- Serve it how with more chilli sauce and tea.
I hope you enjoy this hot and spicy Chicken 65 as much as we do!
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.