Singhal – Kumaoni Malpua is a popular Uttarakhand speciality. Singhal is a traditional dish that is prepared during special occasions and festivals in Kumaon. This deep fried snacks are made with semolina, banana, yogurt and milk and flavoured with fennel seeds and cardamom. Singhal makes a perfect tea time snacks and also a perfect dessert when served it with rabdi.
Hello my lovelies,
Today I am sharing a delicious snacks /dessert from Kumaon, Uttarakhand. These Uttarakhand style singhal are prepared on every special occasions and festivals like holi, diwali, weddings, birthdays, etc.
Singhal, a slightly sweet deep fried and delicious snack that is made with semolina, banana, curd, milk and flavoured with fennel seeds and cardamom seeds. When singhals are fried the sweet aroma of these fritters wafts through the hallway making it even more irresistible.
Singhal is traditionally spiral in shape just like jalebi. But you can also make it in round shape. Simply drop a spoon full of batter in the oil and fry until golden brown.
How to make Uttarakhand style Singhal (Kumaoni Malpua)?
Singhal is super simple to make and even tastier to eat. Firstly rub the semolina with ghee with your finger tips. Then add in the mashed banana, sugar, yogurt, fennel seeds and cardamom and mix everything well. Finally add the milk until you get a thick yet pourable batter. Let it rest for an hour or so.
Heat oil on medium heat to deep fry the singhal. To make the spirals, take a ziplock bag or icing bag and pour the batter in it. Cut a small 1 cm hole in the end. Now pour the batter in spiral shape just like jalebi in the oil and fry until golden brown. Or you can simply drop spoonful of batter in the oil and fry until golden brown.
Now sprinkle with icing sugar and serve it as a snack with tea or as a dessert with Rabdi.
Here are few dessert recipes that you may like.
Singhal – Kumaoni Malpua | Uttarakhand style Singhal recipe
- Large bowl
- deep frying pan
- icing bag/freezer bag with a corner/muslin cloth
- 1 cup Semolina
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 medium Banana mashed
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds lightly crushed (not powdered) in pestle n motor
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom seeds powder
- Oil for deep frying
- In a large bowl add the semolina and one tsp ghee and massage the semolina well with the ghee with your finger tips.
- Then add in the mashed banana, sugar and mix everything well.
- Mix in the curd, fennel seeds and cardamom seeds to the batter.
- Now add the milk and mix to get a thick, smooth droppable batter.
- Cover and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Now heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- For the spiral shape take a piping bag and spoon in some of the batter in it. Or even easy you can simply drop a spoonful of batter in the oil for roundels. I did both.
- Cut the tip off the icing bag and carefully drop the batter in spiral shape just like jalebi.
- Fry the singhal until golden brown, drain and keep it aside.
- Serve it hot with tea or coffee or with rabdi as a dessert.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Uttarakhand special Singhal as much as we do.
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.