Nan-e-Nokhodchi (Persian Chickpea Cookies) are exquisitely delicious, light and melt in the mouth gluten free and eggless cookies. This delicate cardamom and rose flavoured chickpea cookies with a hint of pistachio is easy to make. Perfect to entertain your friends and family this DIWALI.
With Diwali just around the corner I have already started preparing my Diwali goodies in full swing. First one on the menu is Nan-e-Nokhodchi.
These are gluten free, eggless, grain free Persian cookies is made with chickpea flour, ghee, sugar and flavoured with cardamom and rose water. These Persian chickpea cardamom cookies are not overly sweet and are totally melt in the mouth dessert. My family has gone all gaga over it. And now I will be treating my guests with this delicacy this DIWALI.
Does this sound similar to one of our Indian cookies??
Yes! you are right Nan khatai our very own Indian eggless cookie. The only difference is Nan-e-Nokhodchi is made with chickpea flour only; making it a gluten free and grain free dessert.
This Diwali I have decided on these Persian chickpea cookies over Besan ka ladoo. I know I know Diwali without besan ladoo is a crime, but these cookies are so similar. They are both made with roasted chickpea flour, ghee, sugar and cardamom. The only difference is texture.
How to make Chickpea cardamom cookies?
Persian cookies are extremely simple to make with just 5 ingredients. Just knead, rest, roll and bake. so simple.
Dry roast the chickpea flour for a min or two. Then add it in a large bowl and let it cool.
Add the confectioner sugar (If you can not get hold of confectioner sugar just add normal sugar in a mixer grinder and ground into fine powder), freshly ground cardamom powder and mix.
Add the melted ghee and rose water and mix and message everything with hands until everything comes together as a dough. If you think the dough is very dry add a tbsp of ghee at a time and continue kneading. The dough is quite crumbly. now wrap it up tightly with cling film and set it aside at room temperature for atleast 1 hour.
Preheat oven, line baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut it with cutters and place it carefully on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with chopped pistachio and bake for 15 mins. Cool and enjoy with tea or coffee.
How to store Nan-e-Nokhodchi /Chickpea cardamom cookies?
These delicate cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
These Persian chickpea cookies can also be freezed for upto a month. SO what are you waiting make these cookies in advance and freeze it to enjoy on the day of Diwali.
Here are few desserts that you can try this Diwali.
Nan-e-Nokhodchi (Persian Chickpea Cookies)
Nan-e-Nokhodchi (Persian Chickpea Cookies) | Eggless gluttenfree chickpea cookies | gluten free cookies recipe
- Baking sheet
- Large bowl
- 1 1/2 cups Chickpea Flour (approx. 250 gms chickpea flour sifted)
- 100 gms Confectioners sugar /Icing sugar (1/2 cup+2 tbsp, sifted)
- 1/2 cup + 2-3 tbsp Ghee/Melted butter/ Oil
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Rose water
- 2-3 tbsp Pistachio chopped
- In a large pan dry roast the sifted chickpea flour for 1-2 minutes on low to medium heat. Take it off the heat and set aside in a large bowl.
- To the roasted chickpea flour add confectioner sugar, cardamom powder and whisk it well.
- Now pour the melted ghee/butter/oil and the rose water and slowly with your hands rub everything together for 8-10 minutes until it comes together and forms a dough. If you thin it is still dry add a tbsp of ghee/oil. It is a very crumbly dough.
- Cling wrap the dough tightly and keep it aside for at least 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C or 300 degree F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Now slowly roll the dough on a chickpea flour dusted surface until it is 1/2 inch thick.
- Traditionally it is cut with a small clover cutter, but you can use any cutter as you desire.
- Slowly place them on the baking sheet and sprinkle with chopped pistachio.
- Now bake for 15 minutes until the cookies turn golden brown. Take it off the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10-15 minutes as they are very fragile when hot.
- Decorate with rose petals and more pistachios if desired and enjoy with tea and coffee.
I hope you enjoy this Persian glutenfree cookies as mush as we do!