Dim Phulkopir Dalna (Bengali Egg curry with Cauliflower) is a light and delicious Indian style Egg curry flavoured with Bengali garam masala. This rustic dim phulkopir dalna is loaded with veggies like cauliflower, potatoes and green peas making this dish wholesome, satisfying and lip-smacking.
Who doesn’t like a good old egg curry?
There is nothing more comforting and satisfying than a good rustic egg curry. Especially when it is loaded with a variety or delicious veggies (all my fav btw).
Winter vegetable has it’s own charm. Just like this cauliflower, it takes this dish to the next level. Flavour wise, texture wise, everything is just magican about this Indian egg curry.
I am an egg lover. So much so, if I have egg curry on one side and any meat curry on the other, I will definitely pounce on the egg curry leaving the chicken or mutton curry aside. Yes, that much I love eggs.
During winters I crave for a delicious meal that is nutritious and wholesome at the same time and can be paired well with either rice or phulas. Bengali Dim Phulkopir Dalna ticks all the boxes.
This bengali egg curry with cauliflower is light and simple yet so full of flavour. The addition of Bengali garam masala and ghee makes this dish even more irresistible. We had this cury with some phulkas, which by the way was also thoroughly enjoyed by my two and a half year old.
How to make Bengali Dim Phulkopir Dalna (Egg curry with Cauliflower)?
Firstly I start by frying the cauliflower florets, potatoes and eggs one at at time in little oil. But if you are on a health spree, you can lightly fry and then steam the cauliflowers until 50 percent done.
Next make a coarse paste of onion, tomato and ginger.
Heat oil/ ghee/mustard oil and add the whole spices and bay leaves and cumin seeds. Then add in the onion-tomato paste and fry until you see some oil seeping through the masala. Add the power masala along with salt and some water and continuing sauteing. Toss in the fried potatoes and mix everything well with the masala. Add half cup of water and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Next add the cauliflower and green peas and mix everything well with the masala. Add 2 cups of hot water and mix. Cover and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the potatoes and cauliflower are 90 percent done.
Add the eggs along with some sugar/jaggery/sweetener and mix everything well. simmer for 2 minutes. Finally stir in the bengali garam masala and ghee and bring it to a final boil. Take it off the heat.
Here are few Egg recipes that you can try.
Any fish lovers in the house, you can try this recipe.
Bengali Dim Phulkopir Dalna
Bengali Dim Phulkopir Dalna
- large thick bottomed pan/ large Kadhai
- 4 large Eggs hard boiled, score the eggs with a knife and then marinated with some salt and pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 medium Cauliflower (approx 350gms) cut into large florets, marinated with some salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- 2 medium Potatoes cut into quarters, marinated with some salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1-2 Green chilies
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder plus extra for marinating the cauliflower, potatoes and eggs
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 8-10 Fenugreek seeds/methi dana
- 1 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Bengali Garam masala
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp Sugar/sweetner/ jaggery
- 1-2 tsp Ghee
- 3-4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Ground into paste
- 1 small Onion roughly chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large pan on medium high heat. When hot add the marinated cauliflower florets and fry for 4-5 minutes until it lightly brown on all sides. Drain and take it off the heat.
- Add another tbsp of oil in the same oil. when hot add the marinated eggs and fry until golden fried. Take it off the heat.
- In the same oil fry the potatoes until golden brown. Take it off the heat.
- Add the rest of the oil in the same pan. Temper it with bay leaves, dried red chillies, cinnamon seeds, cardamoms, cloves, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- When the seed crackles add the ground onion tomato ginger mixture and saute on medium heat.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and some salt along with 2-3 tbsp of water. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add in the fried potatoes and mix it well with the masala.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and and mix. Lower the heat and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. stirring intermittently.
- Toss in the cauliflower and green peas and mix it well with the masala.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the cauliflower, potatoes are 80 percent done.
- Now add the boiled eggs along with along with the jaggery/sweetener/sugar and mix it lightly. DO not over mix of the cauliflower florets might disintegrate. simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Finally add the ghee and garam masala powder and ghee and give it a final mix.
- Take it off the heat. Serve it hot with rice or roti or puris.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Dim Phulkopir Dalna as much as we do!