Begun Pora (Bengali Baingan Bharta) is an utterly delicious Bengali recipe made with roasted eggplant and mustard oil. Begun pora is very simple and quick to prepare and makes a healthy and wholesome meal when served with roti or rice.
When in Kolkata one thing that I had almost every day was Begun Pora. Vegetables during winters in Kolkata is just magical. Don’t you agree with me?!
Especially the eggplants/begun. The flesh is velvety and melts in your mouth like butter. It’s just so good. If only I could get back some fresh Winter vegetables from Kolkata.. Shyyyy…
Anyways, I was craving begun pora so much that I made this Bengali roasted eggplant with the once we get here. begun/eggplant
Ingredients to make Bengali Baingan Bharta
This delicious baingan bharta is made with minimal ingredients that is easily available. The main ingredient though apart from eggplant is mustard oil. Mustard oil makes this dish unique and delicious. Let’s take a look at the list.
- Eggplants/ Begun/ Aubergine: Use the big variety not the small once.
- Green Chillies
- Coriander leaves
- Mustard Oil
How to make Bengali baingan bharta?
- Firstly score the eggplant with a knife and rub it with mustard oil and salt.
- Then place it in open fire on a gas burner on medium low heat and roast until the outside is charred and the inside is soft and cooked through. Roasting the eggplant on open fire add smokiness which enhances the flavour. You can also roast the eggplant in an oven. Roast in an oven for 35-40 mins. Here is a recipe of how to roast Eggplant in an oven.
- Roast the tomato the same way.
- Let it cool a bit. Then remove the charred skin and mash eggplant roughly with a fork. And chop the roasted tomato.
- Next add the rest of the ingredients to the roasted eggplant and mix everything well with your fingers.
- Serve it with rice or roti.
Here are few Bengali Begun recipes that you can try.
Doi Begun (Eggplant cooked in spiced Yogurt sauce)
Begun pora | How to make Bengali Baingan Bharta | Bengali Roasted Eggplant Mash
Begun Pora | Bengali Baingan Bharta | Bengali Roasted Eggplant Mash
- 2 medium Eggplants/Begun/Aubergine washed
- 1 medium Tomato washed
- 2-3 Green chillies
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Mustard Oil plus extra to rub the eggplant and tomato with oil
- Firstly score the eggplants with a knife and rub it with some mustard oil and salt. Now put it in medium-low open flame on a gas burner. I placed the eggplants on a chapati roasting net and covered the stove base with some aluminium foil to catch the drippings from the eggplant. ***For alternative chek notes.
- Roast the eggplants for 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked through and soft. Prick it with a knife or fork to check the doneness.
- The skin will be completely charred but it add a lovely smoky flavour to the dish. Take it off the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Meanwhile rub some mustard oil on the tomato and roast on medium-low open flame.
- Remove the charred skin off the eggplants and scoop out the velvety flesh of the eggplant and mash it lightly with a fork.
- Similarly remove the charred skin of the tomato and chop it finely.
- Now to the roasted eggplant add the roasted tomato, onion, green chiles, coriander leaves, mustard oil and salt. Mix everything very well with your fingers.
- Enjoy it with Rice or Roti.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Begun Pora as much as we do!
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
angiesrecipesJanuary 22, 2020
Can’t handle any nightshade veggies, but this looks too good to miss in life :-))
[email protected] BongJanuary 23, 2020
aww… really!! Why so ..
AnubhavFebruary 3, 2020
Hi Arpita, you have a beautiful blog and amazing recipes ❤️
[email protected] BongFebruary 4, 2020
Thank you so much Anu ♥