Salmon Curry With Cauliflower And Potato (Fulkopi Aloo Diye Macher Jhol) is a light and soupy Salmon fish curry loaded with fresh veggies like cauliflower and potatoes and flavoured with warm and earthy spices like cumin and turmeric.
“Cooking is at once child’s play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.”
~ Craig Claiborne
Its the start of the week and lets start it with a healthy and delicious Salmon curry recipe.
Here is another light and healthy dish for you to enjoy…
As I said in earlier, hubby has been travelling a lot lately. And travelling means consistently eating more outside food.
So when he is home I try to prepare healthier and nutritious food. And this Salmon curry is just that.
Hubby is not a huge seafood lover. He just can’t stand the smell of the fish. I know its weird.. Right?!!! Whereas me.. I am just the opposite.. I just LOVE fish.. I can eat it any way you give me.. Cooked of course.. 😉
Its a huge and difficult task to get him eat fish. So I have to prepare it in such a way that suits his pallet.
And now about this Salmon Curry With Cauliflower And Potato (Aloo Fulkopi Diye Macher Jhol), another popular bengali dish, prepared in almost all bengali households. I have all grown up eating this fish curry with rice.
We usually make this cauliflower and potato curry with Rohu fish or rui maacha a species of fish of the carp family. But since rui maach is not readily available here, I make it with salmon and it is equally delicious and flavourful.
I was really sceptical whether hubby will like this dish or not. And Yes.. You guessed it right! He loved it. Well there is nothing to dislike about this fish curry or maacher jhol as we say it in bengali.
This salmon curry is very delicious as its made with fresh veggies. Loads of fresh vegetables like potatoes, tender cauliflower, fresh tomatoes and loads and loads of fresh coriander leaves are added to this dish. I have even added some fresh mangetouts in this curry too.
So if you are a fish lover or not you are surely gonna love this Salmon Curry With Cauliflower And Potato (Fulkopi Aloo Diye Macher Jhol). This dish is super simple to make and can be served with Rice or Rotis.
- 4 large Salmon Fillet (approx. 500gms)
- 1 small Onions
- 2 small Tomatoes
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2-3 Green chillies
- One small head Cauliflower, washed and cut into big florets
- 2 Potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise like wedges
- 10-12 Mangetouts, wash and cut both ends
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder + 1/2 tsp for marination
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 3-4 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander
- Wash the fish fillets and marinate the fish with 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt and keep aside for 10- 15 mins.
- Heat a 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry the fish on both the sides around 2-3 mins until its golden brown.
- In the same oil add the vegetables and fry till golden brown. Remove and set it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and temper it with cumin seeds, when it crackles add the onion-tomato paste and fry on low-medium heat until the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the turmeric, chilli and cumin powder and salt and continue to fry till the oil separates from the sides. Now add 2 cups of water.
- Toss in the fried vegetables along with the green chillies and mix everything well. Check the seasoning. Add more salt if required. Cover and bring it to a boil.
- Keep an eye on the vegetables. Once the veggies are cooked add the fried fish pieces. Cover and simmer for another 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add freshly chopped coriander in the end and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve it with Steamed Rice.
I enjoy my Salmon Curry With Cauliflower And Potato (Fulkopi Aloo Diye Macher Jhol) with rice, a splash of lime and lots of freshly chopped coriander.
Have a Great Week ahead!!
Salmon recipes you may like