Hyderabadi Osmania Biscuit is one of the most famous tea biscuit in Hyderabad. Osmania biscuit are saffron flavoured cookies that is eggless with a slightly sweeter and salty note to it. Osmania biscuit is such a treat to enjoy with a cup of tea.
It’s officially autumn and the baking game is ON!!! 💪🏽
I have quite a few delicious baked goodies recipe lined up and guess what they are all EGGLESS. Can’t wait to share with you guys.
But for now enjoy this aromatic saffron flavoured Hyderabadi tea time biscuit that I am sure each one of you will thoroughly enjoy. My 3 year old has gone all gaga over this delicious osmania biscuit. It is slightly sweet and totally melt in the mouth and the texture is almost like a shortbread cookie but much more because of the saffron.
Story behind Hyderabadi Osmania biscuit….
The biscuit is named after the last Nizam of Hyderabad, Mir Osman Ali Khan. He wanted a snack that was a little sweet and a little salty, hence this biscuit came into existence. And today, it still remains the most popular tea-time snack. It is one of the cultural identities in Hyderabad and is sold in places like Charminar and Old Hyderabad.
What are the ingredients used in Hyderabadi Osmania biscuit (saffron cookie)?
This biscuit uses 2 amazing ingredients which I haven’t used in any biscuit before. And that is custard powder and milk powder. It definitely makes this Hyderabadi biscuit so unique and delicious.
- All purpose flour
- Custard flour
- Milk Powder
- Softened Butter
- Powdered sugar/Icing sugar
- Baking soda
That is all you need to make this delicious eggless biscuit. Let’s see the detailed recipe below.
Here are few Eggless Cookie recipes that you can try.
Here are few Cookie recipes that you can try.
Osmania Cookies Recipe
Osmania Cookies Hyderabadi recipe | Saffron flavoured cookies
- Large bowl
- Baking sheet
- 2 inch round cookie cutter
- 100 grams Butter (soft, room temperature)
- 80 grams Powdered sugar / Icing sugar
- 180 grams All purpose flour / Maida
- 2 tbsp Custard powder
- 2 tbsp Milk powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Saffron
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Preheat the oven to 150° C and line a baking sheet with baking paper/parchment paper.
- Add the saffron in warm milk and mix it and keep it aside.
- Sift together all purpose flour, custard powder, milk powder, salt and baking soda and keep it aside
- In a large bowl add the softened butter and icing sugar.
- With a help of a spatula cream together the butter and the icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Now pour in the saffron milk in the sugar butter mixture and mix it well with a spatula.
- Add the sifted flour to the butter sugar mixture and knead it into a soft dough. No need to add anymore milk or water.
- Cover it with a cling film and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Now dust the rolling surface with some flour and roll out the dough into 1/3 inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter cut out the cookies.
- Place them on the baking sheet and top it with some saffron strands(optional). Now place them in a preheated oven and bake them at 150 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool them on a wire rack and then place them in an airtight container. Keeps well for 2 weeks. Enjoy these hyderabadi osmania cookies with a cup of tea.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Hyderabadi Osmania biscuit as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!