Milk Rusk (Homemade Bread Rusk) is a twice baked crispy and crunchy cardamom flavoured homemade sweet toast biscuit. This sweet bread rusk is a popular tea time snack and so loved by one and all in India.
Ok, I have to agree I love my tea. But equally love what I accompany with it. And milk rusk is something which I really enjoy with my cuppa. So much so that sometimes my breakfast consists of milk rusk and tea. Milk rusk is slightly sweet with a pleasant cardamom flavour. This twice baked Indian bread rusks are perfectly crispy and light as air.
This quarantine and lockdown made most of us experts in making our favourite store bought snacks at home. I particularly like the parle or britannia milk rusk and since lockdown it was really difficult to get my hands on some store bought rusks. So I was on a mission to create my own homemade slightly sweet rusks at home to curb my cravings. You won’t believe how easy it is to make and I am sure you won’t go back to your store bought rusks.
There are 2 types of rusks MILK RUSK & CAKE RUSK. Few weeks back I have shown you how to make cake rusks. To make cake rusk, we start by baking a cake and then twice baking the cake slices into these gorgeous crispy cake rusk. This is quite fast and easier to make than Milk rusk.
To make milk rusk we start by baking a slightly sweet bread from scratch. Baking a bread is quite time consuming as it involves proofing the dough twice. So you have to be patient. Milk rusk is purely a labour of love. So let’s see what ingredients are used to make this homemade rusk biscuit.
What are the ingredients used for making Rusk?
Basic ingredients are used to make this milk rusks.
- All purpose flour
- Milk Powder
- Brown Sugar/Sugar (You can increase or decrease the amount of sugar as per your liking. This sweetness was perfect for me, just like store bought rusks)
- Dry yeast
That is all you need to make this sweet bread rusk. Let’s hop on to see the detailed recipe of how it is made.
Here are few recipes that you can try,
Date Palm Jaggery Whole Wheat Loaf
Nolen Gur (Jaggery) Thumbprint Cookies
Milk Rusk (Homemade Sweet Toast Biscuit)
Milk Rusk | Bread Rusk | Homemade sweet toast Biscuit
- large mixing bowl
- 8 inch square baking tin
- large baking sheet
- 2 cups All Purpose flour (arnd 250 gms) +2 tbsp extra for kneading
- 1/2 cup Milk Powder (arnd 65 grams)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 60 grams Brown Sugar/Sugar **
- 1 tsp Cardamom seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Dry Yeast
- 3/4 cup Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Start by dissolving 1 tbsp of sugar in warm water, then Mix the yeast with the lukewarm water and let it rest for 5-7 mins until the mixture looks bubbly and frothy.
- Add the rest of the sugar and 1/2 tsp of cardamom seeds in a mixer grinder and ground into fine powder.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, milk powder, sugar and salt and rest of the cardamom seeds. Whisk it together and make a well in the middle. keep aside.
- To make the dough. Pour the yeast-water mixture and oil into the well. Now knead by hands or by hooks and bring the flour in gradually from the sides and keep mixing and working the rest of the flour. Add a tbsp of flour if needed and knead until you have a smooth, springy dough.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or cling film and place in a warm room for about an 45 minutes to one hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands.
- Grease a square baking tin and keep it aside.
- Shape the dough roughly into a square shape and place it in the greased pan. If you don't have square tin no worries. Roll then into 2 thin long logs and place them on a baking tin.
- Now let it rest for 30 to 40 mins or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Now wait for the bread to cool down completely before slicing it. This will yield clean slices of bread.
- Now Preheat the oven to 150°c. Line a large rectangular baking pan with parchment paper.
- Now cut the bread into 1/2 inch strips.
- Place the rusk on the baking tin and bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool complete on a cooling rack.
- Store it in an airtight container for 2 weeks. Enjoy with a hot cup of tea
I hope you enjoy this Milk Rusk (Homemade Bread Rusk) as much ads we do.
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!
angiesrecipesJune 13, 2020
They are called zwieback over here…very popular and delicious! Love yours with cardamom 🙂