Nolen Gur Thumbprint Cookies (Date palm Jaggery thumbprint cookies) are rich, buttery and “light as a feather”. These 5-ingredient thumbprint cookies literally melts in the mouth with a lovely sweet jaggery (nolen gur) filling.
With the Bengali New Year (Pôhela Boishakh) just around the corner, I wanted to create something similar to our famous Bengali Nolen Gurer Sandesh but without the hard work.
Don’t these cookies look like Bengali sandesh?
Yup! that was kind of the idea I was going for. Something that resembles the Bengali sweet but with a twist. And all you need is 5 ingredients and less than 30 minutes of time to make this cookies.
This cookies have been on my mind for so so how long but as usual I have been procrastinating. And finally, I did it for you guys. These cookies are unbelievably delicious and even easier to make.
So my visit to Kolkata this time was perfect as winter is the time of Khejurer Gur (date palm jaggery). And I had bought quite a decent amount of nolen gur (liquid date palm jaggery) and well as patali gur from Kolkata.
You must be wondering what nolen gur and patali gur is?
Nolen gur is the liquid form of date palm jaggery while patali gur is the hardened jaggery.
This is how patali gur actually looks. Beautiful isn’t it! So few more jaggery dessert coming your way..
If you don’t have access to Nolen gur, just grate the patali jaggery or sugarcane jaggery and mix it with some water and slowly heat it until the jaggery is dissolved and it reaches a thick sticky consistency. Let it cool and use in your desserts.
What ingredients are used to make this thumbprint cookies?
5 ingredients only to make this thumbprint cookies.
- All purpose flour/plain flour
- Powdered sugar/Powdered jaggery
- Nolen Gur (Jaggery)
Please don’t give the cornflour a miss. The addition of corn flour makes these cookies super light and airy. A few easy steps and you have this wonderful melt in the mouth cookies. Jump to the detailed recipe to make this lovely treat.
Here are few recipes that you can try.
Date Palm Jaggery Thumbprint Cookies
Nolen Gur Thumbprint Cookies | Jaggery thumbprint cookies | Eggless cookies
- Large bowl
- Baking sheet
- 125 gms All purpose flour sifted
- 50 gms Corn flour sifted
- 125 gms Unsalted Butter softened
- 55 gms Powdered Sugar/ finely grated Jaggery
- 4-5 tbsp Nolen Gur/ Liquid Jaggery***
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and lightly grease or line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar/jaggery in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until soft and light.
- Add the sifted corn flour and all purpose flour into the butter and sugar/jaggery mixture.
- Now mix with a spatula until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into 18-20 equal parts. Roll into balls, place slightly apart (1-2 inch) on the prepared tray and then flatten each biscuit lightly with your thumb in the center.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until firm. Remove from the oven and let the cookies sit on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- When the cookies have cooled down, add a spoonful liquid jaggery in the center and serve.
I hope you enjoy this Nolen Gur Thumbprint Cookies as much as we do!