Spicy Chicken Tawa Fry (Murgh Tawa Fry) is a succulent and delicious quick fix chicken recipe for all meat lovers. Boneless chicken is coated with tasty masala and then pan fried in coconut oil to perfection in minutes. Goes really well with parathas or naans.
Today, I am sharing one of my go-to boneless chicken recipes. Something that I prepare when I am in no mood for cooking elaborate meals.
The reason I totally love this dish is firstly this murgh tawa fry comes together in minutes. Secondly the meat is absolutely juicy when done cooking. Coated in that delicious spicy masala and frying it in coconut oil really makes it so irresistible.
Chicken tawa fry makes a fantastic appetizer to entertain your guests, as you don’t have to slog in the kitchen for ages. Minutes is all you need to make this. This tempting pan fried chicken is a huge hit with my family and my friends.
I have used the juiciest part of chicken that is boneless chicken thighs in this recipe. It really does make a difference. I know chicken thighs are fattier than chicken breasts but all that fat adds to the moisture and flavour that breasts lack. But if you are a health freak, you can make this with chicken breast too.
What are the ingredients used to make murgh tawa fry?
Pretty basic ingredients are used here.
- Boneless Chicken thighs
- Ginger garlic paste
- Lime juice
- Rice flour
- Chaat masala
- Kashmiri chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soya Sauce
- Green Chillies
- Dried Red chillies
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil (You can use veg oil too)
Frying the marinated chicken pieces in coconut oil really adds a lovely dimension and nuttiness to the dish. You can totally use vegetable or sunflower oil for frying the chicken.
Let’s jump to the recipe and see how it is made.
Here are some Chicken recipes that you can try.
Nadan Kozhi Curry (Kerala Chicken Curry)
Chicken Egg Roll Kolkata Style
Spicy Chicken Tawa Fry (Murgh tawa fry)
Spicy Chicken Tawa Fry | Murgh Tawa Fry
- Large bowl
- Thick bottomed non stick pan or cast iron skillet
To marinate the Chicken
- 600 grams Boneless Chicken Thighs Cut them into 2 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 tbsp Rice FLour
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1/2 Turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp Freshly ground Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Chaat masala
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1 large Onion Thickly sliced
- 2-3 Green Chillies Slit
- 15-16 Curry Leaves
- 3-4 Dried Red Chillies
- 2-3 Coconut Oil/ Veg Oil
- In a large bowl ladd all the ingredients under marinate and mix everything together. Let it marinate for 15 to 30 minutes. The longer the better.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet/cast iron pan on medium heat. When hot add the dried red chillies and sauté for 10-20 seconds, then slowly add in the marinated chicken along with the marinade and fry on one side for 2 minutes.
- Now flip all the chicken pieces and continue frying for 2 minutes.
- Now lower the heat to low and cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 8-10 minutes the chicken is almost cooked. Toss in the sliced onion, green chillies and curry leaves and mix it with the chicken and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and serve it hot with parathas or rice. Or simply enjoy with a glass of chilled beer.
I hope you enjoy this Spicy Chicken Tawa Fry as much as we do!
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you do try this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
angiesrecipesFebruary 22, 2020
So flavourful and yummy…I love all those wonderful spices.
[email protected] BongFebruary 23, 2020
Thank you so much Angie!!❤️
SwatiMay 21, 2021
At what point do you add the red chilies to the recipe?
[email protected] BongMay 21, 2021
Hi Swati, we add at it right at the beginning in the hot oil before adding the marinated chicken.
Thanks for getting this to my notice. 🙂