Chilli Chicken is one of the most popular Indo-Chinese dish in Indian restaurants or road side stalls. This Chinese chicken recipe is supremely spicy, crispy and uber delicious. Battered crispy fried boneless chicken is cooked in tasty and spicy garlic-chilli gravy. Enjoy this restaurant style Chinese Chilli Chicken as an appetiser or with your favourite hakka noodles or fried rice.Jump to Recipe
Hello my lovely friends!!!
My love for Chinese food is unconditional and after moving to UK, one thing that I missed the most was our desi-style Chinese food. That is our very own INDO-CHINESE food.
I have had so many authentic and amazing Chinese food here in the UK but somehow nothing matches up to the Indian style of Chinese food. Nothing matches up my Indian tastebuds. 🤷🏽♀️
And the chinese takeaways
So all this cravings and hankering had to be satisfied somehow. And of course it had to be me. I had to recreate all my favourite Chinese recipes. Chilli Chicken had to be on the top of the list.
Visiting a Chinese restaurant and not ordering chicken chili is a crime. for me atleast. The best Chili chicken I ever had was in Kolkata China town, Tangra restaurant. I had it many years ago. But there are certain flavours that aways lingers in your taste buds. And Tangra’s Chili chicken is one of them. If you are visiting kolkata soon, please visit China town Tangra restaurant without fail.
How to make Chilli Chicken?
One of the simplest Chinese recipe ever. There are many variations in making this dish. This recipe comes very close to the restaurant style chili chicken. Kolkata Tangra’s Chili chicken.
No, I did not achieve this in one go. After many trials and errors I prefected the recipe. My best and the toughest critic was my husband. It is very difficult to satisfy and please him when it comes to his favourites. And this Chinese chicken recipe is definitely one of them. He made me make this recipe so many times unless he was completely satisfied that this tasted very much like Kolkata chili chicken. It is so perfect that I wouldn’t change a thing in this recipe, for now.
The chicken is nice and crispy and the gravy is perfectly balanced. That is spicy, sweet, tangy and yummylicious.
Did I convince you enough???
Well you have to make it to know it. Follow the Step by step Chili chicken recipe to have a perfect Indo-Chinese dish.
If you are Chinese food fan just like me have a look at this
Chilli Chicken | How to make Chinese Chilli Chicken
- 500 gms Chicken (boneless) I used boneless chicken thighs and cut it into bite size pieces
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Each of green and red Chilli sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Vinegar/lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns Freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Corn flour
- a pinch Baking soda
Sauce mixture for gravy
- 2 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli sauce (adjust the heat it according to your taste)
- 2 tbsp Green Chilli sauce (*check notes) (adjust the heat it according to your taste)
- 4 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or any Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp Sugar/sweetener
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns Freshly ground
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup Water/stock (***Check notes)
- 1 green Pepper cut into big 2 cm cubes
- 1/2 Red pepper cut into big 2 cm cubes
- 1 large Onion cut into big 2 cm cubes
- 10-15 Chillies thinly sliced (adjust the heat it according to your taste)
- 1 inch ginger(approx 10 gms) finely chopped
- 4-5 large Garlic(approx 15 gms) finely chopped
- 1 tsp Corn flour
- 2 tsp Water
- 2 Dried red Chilli
- 1 1/2 tbsp Veg Oil/sunflower oil to make the gravy
- Veg Oil/sunflower oil Enough oil for deep frying the chicken
- 2 Spring onions chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl add the chicken, soya sauce, vinegar/lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, chilli sauce, salt and pepper. Mix it well with hands and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients under sauce mixture and keep it aside.
- Make a thick slurry with cornflour and water and keep aside.
- Heat enough oil in a pan/kadai for deep frying the chicken.
- After 10-15 mins right before frying the chicken add the egg, cornflour and baking soda and mix everything well.
- Now fry the chicken in batches until golden brown and keep it aside. (**check notes)
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a wok on high to medium flame. When hot add the dried red chillies and chopped ginger and garlic and sauté for 10-15 seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Toss in the peppers and onions and chillies and stir fry for 1-2 mins.
- Now add the sauce mixture to the fried pepper and onion. When it comes to a boil add the cornflour slurry to thick the sauce.
- Now toss in the crispy fried boneless chicken and mix everything well and cook for another 2 mins until it comes together.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve this spicy chilli chicken as an appetiser or with your favourite hakka noodles or fried rice.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Spicy Chicken Recipe as much as we do!
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.