Shami Kebab is a melt in mouth, juicy and succulent kebabs recipe of Mughal origin, are made with lamb or beef keema, chana dal and aromatic spices and pan fried in ghee.
This is my better halves birthday week. After my little one was born, last few years hubster’s birthday has been quit neglected. So this year I want it to be special. He is all about kebabs and rolls and biryani. So basically Mughlai food lover.
So started this week with some delicious melt in mouth “Shami Kebabs“.
What is Shami Kebab?
Shami kebabs are immensely popular kebabs. They are made with ground meat like beef or lamb, chana dal and an aromatic blend of herbs and spices. These are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside with a great flavour and different textures. They taste amazing as it is with some green chutney or alongside some roomali roti and salad.
Can we freeze Shami Kebab?
Another amazing thing about this kebab is since the meat is cooked prior making the kebabs, these kebabs last longer and they freeze well. If you are planning on freezing these kebabs, then place them on a tray and freeze them for 2 hours. Then transfer them in a freezer zipper storage bag or airtight container, separate each patty with a baking sheet/parchment paper to avoid them sticking to each other. They keep well for 3 months.
What are the ingredients used in Keema Shami Kebab recipe?
- Beef/Lamb/chicken mince
- Chana dal
- Ginger garlic paste
- green chillies
- Chilli flakes
- Whole spices (coriander, cumin, cinnamon, green & black cardamoms, cloves, peppercorn, nutmeg, mace)
Here are few recipes that you ca try
Shami Kebab recipe
Shami Kebab | Lucknow Shami Kebab
- Instant pot / pressure cooker
- mixer grinder
- Thick bottomed non stick pan or cast iron skillet
To pressure cook:
- 500 grams Mutton/Lamb/Beef mince
- 100 grams Chana dal Soaked for atleast 1 hour
- 1 medium Onion roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Water
Whole spices to ground
- 2 1/12 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 Black cardamom
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 1/2 mace flower
For the kebabs
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 2-3 Green finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 5-6 tbsp Ghee/oil
- Firstly lets make the spice powder. Add all the ingredients listed under whole spices in a mixer grinder and ground it to a fine powder.
- In a pressure cooker add all the ingredients listed under "to pressure cook" along with the ground whole spice powder and 2 cups of water.
- Mix it well and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles or until the chana dal is cooked through.
- Increase the heat and stir frequently to completely evaporate the moisture. The lamb-lentil mixture will start sticking to the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat off and allow to cool completely.
- Discard the bay leaf and add the cooled meat lentil mixture in a mixer grinder and ground it to a smooth paste.
- TO the mixture add in the chopped onion, green chillies and coriander leaves. Mix it well.
- Now oil your hands and shape them into equal sized discs. (At this point you can freeze these patties*)
- Heat2-3 tbsp ghee or oil in a skillet, when hot add 5-6 patties (do not over crowd the pan) and cook for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Slowly remove from the pan and place them on a kitchen towel. Continue with the rest of the kebabs.
- Serve it hot as it is or with roomali roti and green chutney.
I hope you enjoy this Mughlai Lucknow style shami kebab as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!