Chicken Lollipop (Drums of Heaven) is a popular and most loved Indo-Chinese appetizer. This restaurant style chicken lollipop coated with a delicious sweet spicy tangy sauce is crispy on the outside and soft and succulent on the inside. Follow step by step recipe to make chicken lollipop from scratch at home.
Hi my friends!!
Hope you are all well and healthy.
Let me ask you something. When dining in a restaurant is there any dish that you never, I mean never give a miss?
Well for me it was and always will be CHICKEN LOLLIPOP (obviously if it is available). This coated and deep fried frenched chicken winglets is just heavenly. No wonder the name “DRUMS OF HEAVEN”, so apt isn’t it?!
I always look forward to it when dining in an asian restaurant. You will totally win my heart if you serve me a large plate full of drums of heaven. Even my friends know what I love and order for me even before saying it. Aren’t they the sweetest.
After moving to the United Kingdom, one thing I missed was a good and delicious restaurant style Chicken lollipop. So I took a plunge to make restaurant style drums of heaven at home. It is quite a laborious job that involved cleaning, cutting and frenching chicken wings into beautiful lollipops. But the later is just as simple and easy.
I have shared step by step method of cleaning the wings and turning them into lollipops below.
Here are few Indo Chinese recipes that you can try.
Restaurant style Chilli Chicken
Szechuan style Chicken in Chilli Bean sauce
Chinese 5 spice Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken Lollipop Recipe
Chicken Lollipop | Drums of Heaven recipe
- deep frying pan
- Large bowl
- 10-12 Chicken Wings (around 600-700 grams)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 2-3 tsp Chilli Sauce (green/red)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2-1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt as per taste
Chicken Lollipop Coating
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour/maida
- 3 tbsp CornFlour
Chicken lollipop Sauce
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp Garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 Spring Onions chopped
- 1-2 Red/Green chillies chopped (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp Chilli Sauce (you can also use szechuan sauce)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 11/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil
- Veg/Sunflower Oil for Deep frying
Shaping Chicken Lollipop
- Lets start by breaking the chicken wing from the joint.
- Next with a sharp knife cut it at the joint.
- Now push down or scrap the meat down with a knife under the bones.
- Start gathering the meat on one side and turn it inside out to form a lollipop. COntinue with the rest of the wings.
Marinating the chicken lollipop:
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients listed under marination and mix everything well so that the chicken lollipops are coated well with the marination. Marinate it for atleast 1 hour (the more the better).
Coating and frying the Chicken Lollipop:
- Let's start by heating enough oil in a deep frying pan on medium high heat.
- Now just before frying break in an egg, all purpose flour/maida and corn flour in the marinated chicken lollipop.
- Mix everything well with hands so that each and every lollipop is coated with the batter nicely.
- Fry the chicken lollipop in batches (do not over crowd) for 6-7 minutes until the top is nice and crispy and golden brown.
- Drain on a kitchen towel and keep it aside. continue with the rest of the lollipops. Meanwhile let's make the sauce.
To make the sauce:
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a skillet or pan on medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until it turns soft and translucent.
- Next add in the chopped ginger, garlic, chillies and continue sauteing for a minute.
- Add in the soya sauce, vinegar, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce or szechuan sauce and sugar along with 2-3 tbsp of water and mix everything well. bring it to a boil. The sauce will be thick and sticky.
- Finally toss in the crispy fried chicken lollipop in the sauce and toss it well to coat it evenly with the sauce.
- Serve it hot as it is or with some spicy szechuan sauce.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Chicken Lollipop (Drums of Heaven) as much as we do!
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!
angiesrecipesJuly 10, 2020
I would devour the whole plate! That marinade sounds really great.
[email protected] BongJuly 10, 2020
Thank you Angie.. It’s one of my favourites.. ❤️