Kolkata Style Chicken Egg Roll or chicken kathi roll is the most popular street food dish originating from Kolkata. Smokey, succulent grilled chicken pieces are rolled in crispy, flakey parathas along with salad and sauce. Make this scrumptious chicken rolls at home by following this step by step recipe.
Chicken Kathi Roll for the soul!!
I can literally eat this every day, if only someone made it for me or it was readily available here that is. Since I make everything from scratch it becomes a bit tedious. Not difficult just a bit time consuming. Hence we enjoy this once in a while. But I make sure it lasts me 2 meals. Yum!!
This Kolkata chicken kathi roll recipe is absolutely mouthwatering, a total flavour bomb. There are so many variations of Kolkata rolls. Plain egg roll, mutton roll, egg mutton roll, chicken roll, egg chicken roll, double chicken roll, double mutton roll…. oh the list can go on and on. I always enjoyed my chicken rolls with egg where as the Mr prefers his with out egg i.e. plain chicken roll.
Why is it called kathi roll?
Kathi means bamboo sticks or skewers. This Kolkata style chicken roll recipe is basically skewer roasted kebabs wrapped in crispy flaky parathas. The bamboo skewers are threaded with marinated chicken and cooked in tandoor giving a beautiful charred, smokey flavour to the rolls.
Here are few Kolkata street food recipes that you can try.
Kolkata Style Chicken Egg Roll | Chicken Egg Kathi Roll
Kolkata Style Chicken Egg Roll | Kolkata Chicken Kathi Roll
- Large bowl
- Thick bottomed non stick pan or cast iron skillet
- baking tin
- 550-600 grams Chicken ( I used boneless chicken thighs)
- 3 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Tandoori masala powder
- 2 tsp Kasoori methi
- 3/4 tsp Garam masala (I used bengali garam masala)
- 1/2 Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp White pepper/black pepper
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Mustard oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee for brushing the tikkas
For the flakey parathas
- 2 cups All purpose flour / Maida
- 2 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- Cold Water to knead a soft firm dough
For the Chicken Egg Kathi roll
- 7-8 Eggs (free range)
- 2 medium Onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium Cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 small Green peppers (optional) thinly slices
- 3-4 Green chillies chopped
- Coriander leaves chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Chaat masala
- Ketchup as required
- Green chilli sauce as required
- Lime juice as required
- 2-3 tbsp Oil (for frying the egg)
To make Chicken TIkka
- Add all the ingredients listed under chicken tikka in the bowl except the ghee in a large bowl.
- Mix everything will and keep it marinated for 45- 1 hour.
- Thread chicken onto skewers in a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Brush them with ghee and grill or broil them at 200°C for 25-30 mins turning once.
Make the flakey parathas
- In a large bowl add flour, salt and oil, mix everything together with hands. When the flour is held together it should form a lump.
- Next add a little water at a time and knead the dough really well until firm and smooth. coat is with some oil and cover and keep it aside for atleast 30 minutes.
- DIvide the dough into 5 or 6 dough balls. Take one dough ball and roll it out into thin disc. Then grease it with oil and sprinkle it with flour.
- Start creating pleats by folding with the help of your fingers.
- Now roll the pleated dough inwards like a swiss roll. Secure the ends.
- Now dust it with some flour and roll out the dough into a thin circle.
- Heat a tava/skillet on medium heat. when hot place the paratha on the hot tava. Cook for a min or two and flip and further cook for another minute. Add a 1 tsp of oil and fry the paratha on both sides unti some some brown spots appear on the parathas. Remove it from the tava and keep it on a plate. Make the rest of the parathas this way and keep it aside.
Making the Chicken Egg Kathi Roll
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. Crack an egg in a small bowl, add some salt and whisk it well.
- When the skillet is hot pour the egg in it and spread it around.
- Nest add the cooked paratha on top of the uncooked egg and continue frying on medium heat, flip it around and fry. Until the egg is cooked through and the paratha looks crispy. Take it off the heat.
- Add in the grilled chicken, accompanied with onions, cucumber, green chillies, coriander leaves, chaat masala, a squeeze of lime, ketch up and chilli sauce. Roll it up and wrap it up on one side with news paper or butter paper.
- Serve it hot with some chilled cold drinks or beer.
I hope you enjoy this Chicken Egg Kathi Roll recipe as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!