Aloor Chop (Bengali Alur Chop) is a popular street food of West Bengal. This deep fried gluten free and vegan Bengali style potato croquette is soft and flavourful on the inside with a crispy chickpea/besan coating on the outside. Alur Chop is best paired with muri (puffed rice) and a hot cup of tea.
Hope you are all well and healthy.
Last few days the weather here has been very cloudy, gloomy and rainy and will continue being the same for the next few days as well. In this weather we always crave for something fried and crispy to go with our evening tea. Hence this ALOOR CHOP happened.
Bengali Alur Chop is beautifully spiced and flavoured with Bengali bhaja moshla and fresh herbs. The bhaja masala is one of the ingredients that makes this aloor chop so unique and different flavour wise. It takes the aloo chop the next level.
Bengali bhaja moshla is made with 3 ingredients cumin seeds, coriander seeds and dried red chillies. These 3 ingredients are dry roasted together and then ground into fine powder.
Niramish Aloo Chop
I have added onion and garlic in this recipe. If you wish to make Niramish alur chop, you can skip adding the onion and garlic completely. It tastes amazing even without these 2 ingredients.
Here are few tea time snacks that you can try.
Aloor Chop| Alur Chop Bengali recipe | Potato Croquettes
- pressure cooker
- large thick bottomed pan
- deep frying pan
- 2-3 large Potatoes (arnd 450-500 gms) Washed, peeled and boiled
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- 2 cloves Garlic grated
- 2-3 Green chillies Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp Mustard Oil/veg oil
- Veg oil for deep frying
- 2-3 Dried red Chilli
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
Gram flour Batter
- 1/2 cup Gram flour/Chickpea flour
- 2 tsp Rice flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Pinch of hing
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Salt
- Water as required to make a thick flowy batter
- Wash the potatoes and boil them. Then peel and mash th epotatoes and keep it aside.
- Add dried red chilles, cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a pan and dry roast them until fragrant. Let it cool . Then add it to a mixer grinder and ground it to a fine powder.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients listed under batter except the water. whisk it well. Now slowly pour little water at a time and make a thick but flowy batter. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp mustard oil in a large pan on medium heat. when hot add onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Then add in the ginger, garlic and chopped chillies and saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Nest add the mashed potatoes and mix it will with th masala.
- Add the turmeric powder, bengali bhaja moshla, salt and garam masala and mix everything well. saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add the coriander leaves and mix it well. take it off the heat and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Now divide the potato stuffing into 10-12 parts. then shape them into this flat round disc. This is how aloo chop is shaped authentically.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat. When hot dip the round disc in the prepared batter, then drain the excess batter and slowly drop it in the how oil.
- Fry until the outer coating turns golden brown and crispy.
- Serve it hot with tea and muri.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Aloor Chop/Aloo Chop (Bengali Potato Croquettes) as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!