Onion and Okra Fritters | Kanda Bhajis | Pyazi are light and crispy, naturally gluten free and vegan popular Indian tea time snacks. This crunchy and lip smacking bhajiyas are made with onions(kanda) and okra (bhindi) mixed with gram flour (besan) and different spices and herbs and then deep fried to crispy golden perfection.
SO this is how most of my evenings look like. I totally blame the cold and gloomy weather here in the UK. In weather like this all I desire and crave is hot adrak wali chai (Indian Ginger Milk Tea) and some crispy hot Indian snacks and my fav biscuit.
Onion bhajis| Kanda bhajiya | onion pakoras | Pyazi different names of this delicious crunchy onion fritters. Pyazi is what we call it in Bengali and Kanda bhaji is what we call it in Mumbai. Kanda means onions and bhaji mans fritters. The most popular Mumbai street food.
If I am not wrong everyone is aware of this delicious and oh so moreish onion pakoras. This Indian snack is so famous now that it is available in literally each and every super store here in the UK as well as served in so many restaurants as starters/appetizers.
I made these Onion Bhajis but with a twist of course. I added okra/bhindi to the pakora mixture and it was so so good. Crispy onion crispy okra with spices and herbs, just WOW!!!
Gluten Free and Vegan Onion Okra bhaji
This little fried devils are the ultimate Indian comfort food snacks. They are so addictive, I bet you can’t stop at one. And the best thing is these Onion Okra pakoras are gluten free and vegan. Isn’t that amazing.
The batter is made with gram flour (besan/chickpea flour). And I have added rice flour too for some extra crispiness.
Here are few snacks recipe that you can try.
BabyCorn 65 (Golden Fried BabyCorn)
Zucchini Sweet Potatoes and Chicken Fritters
Onion Okra Fritters | Kanda Bhaji | Pyazi
Onion and Okra Bhaji/Fritters
- deep frying pan
- Large bowl
- 2 large Onions thinly sliced
- 100 gms Okra/bhindi cut into thin roundels
- 2 Green chillies chopped
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 78 tbsp Gram flour/Besan
- 1 1/2 tbsp Rice flour
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds crushed
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain seed/ Carom seeds
- Salt as per taste
- Veg/sunflower oil for deep frying
- In a large bowl add sliced onions, okra, chillies, ginger, coriander leaves, turmeric, coriander seeds, carom seeds.
- Then add gram flour, rice flour and salt.
- Now start mixing everything well with fingers without adding water. Leave it for 10 mins. Onions will start releasing water. Mix again until it forms a dough.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat, enough to deep fry the pakoras.
- When the oil is hot add a spoonful of pakora mixture and fry until it's crispy and golden brown in colour. (Make sure the oil is not too hot otherwise the pakoras will burn from the outside and remain raw from the inside.)
- Serve it hot with tamarind chutney along with hot Chai or coffee.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Onion Okra Fritters | Kanda Bhaji | Pyazi as much as we do!
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
angiesrecipesDecember 19, 2019
They look fingerlickingly delicious!
[email protected] BongDecember 19, 2019
Oh yes!! this crispy fritters are so addictive n delicious..