Kalonji Crackers (Nigella seed Crackers) are super light and crisp sweet and salty crackers, loaded with savoury flavour of kalonji. This homemade kalonji crackers are delicious and made with all basic ingredients with in 30 minutes. Make your tea time fun with these perfect crispy snacks.
This sweet and salty crackers is inspired from my recent visit to India. My MIL used to get this delicious crackers/biscuits from a local bakery and I was so addicted to it. Literally whenever I made my way to the kitchen I used to grab a few from the dabba and made my way out munching on this flavourful nigella seed crackers. They used to be my favourite morning and evening tea time company. And I loved it.
After getting back I tried finding some here as well but no luck. So I took a plunge to make my own to curb my cravings.
Finally here is, my crispy crunchy Kalonji Crackers. This eggless crackers are so light and thin and delicious. And I topped it with sugar crystals to add that extra oomph and crunch.
And guys you know what, it is unbelievably easy to prepare at home. Yeah just knead the dough, roll it out thin and cut into your desired shape and bake. Simple!
What is Kalonji / Nigella Seeds / Onion seeds / Kalo Jeera?
These are small black hard seeds with amazing health benefits. It is used in medical purposes as well as culinary. If you don’t know how nigella seeds look, take a look at this Indian five spice (panch phoron) post here. We Bengalis love to use nigella seeds as a tempering to flavour our food. The aroma the taste it adds to the dish is just lovely.
What ingredients are used to make Kalonji Crackers?
- Whole Wheat Flour
- All purpose flour
- Kalonji/Nigella seeds/Onion seeds
- Vegetable Oil/Sunflower Oil
- Sugar crystals for topping the crackers
All these ingredients are absolutely basic and easily available in your pantry. I have used half and half whole wheat flour and all purpose, but you can use either of it if you wish to make this kalonji crackers.
Here are few tea time snacks that you can try.
Beguni Recipe Bengali Style (Eggplant Fritters)
Onion Okra Fritters | Kanda Bhaji | Pyazi
Babycorn 65 (Babycorn Fritters)
Chocolate Ginger Whole Wheat Biscotti
Corn, Cabbage and Zucchini Fritters
Kalonji Crackers recipe
Kalonji Crackers | Nigella seed Crackers | Whole wheat flour nigella seed crackers
- baking tin
- Large bowl
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup All purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Nigella seeds/ Kalonji
- 3 tbsp Castor Sugar/Sweetener/Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar crystals to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Water to make a dough
- Heat the oven to 175° C or 350° F.
- In a large bowl mix together the flours, nigella seeds, sugar and salt.
- Now add the oil and crumble it properly.
- Add water little at a time to make a soft stiff dough. Keep it aside for 8- 10 minutes.
- Working from the center of the dough, roll out the dough very thin. Cut it into desired shapes or use a cookie cutters.
- Place them on a baking tin and prick it with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar crystals.
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are crisp and brown.
- Kalonji crackers are ready to be served.
I hope you enjoy this sweet & salty Nigella seed Crackers as much as we do!
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
angiesrecipesMarch 4, 2020
I love black seeds. They are so good for us and adding them to the crackers is such a great idea.
[email protected] BongMarch 7, 2020
THanks Angie!! It adds a lovely rustic flavour too to the crackers.