Spicy Chorizo Rice is a very delicious and easy one-pot meal perfect for sharing. It is flavoured with spicy Spanish sausage Chorizo and slow-cooked with rice and spices.
Spicy Chorizo Rice Pot is a very quick and easy meal to prepare. These sausages are made with coarsely ground meat, cooked with spices and vinegar. It is packed with so much flavour that you don’t need to add too many things to make this one-pot rice.
I had Chorizo sausage lying in my pantry for quite some time now. My first thought was to prepare a chorizo and red kidney bean stew casserole. But I wanted to fix a complete meal, so decided to make this spicy chorizo rice with some Indian spices, which took me less then half an hour to prepare and set in on the dinner table.
Chorizo! Chorizo! This gorgeous Spanish spicy pork sausages is packed with amazing flavours of pork and smoked paprika together. Yum! Thanks to the Spanish for inventing this amazing sausages… One of the best way to enjoy chorizo is cooking it with rice.. Like this flavourful recipe.. 😀
In Goa, India you do get a similar type of sausage known as Goan pork sausage or Goan Choriz. Goan pork sausage is similar to Spanish Chorizo and now it is readily available in certain parts of India other than Goa. You will need to hunt for these choriz a little but trust me it will be worth all the efforts.
Chorizo is one of the handiest ingredients and you can comfortably store them in your pantry & use at short notice. You can make a tasty meal effortlessly within minutes. You can use it to prepare so many elaborate delicious dishes which will look wonderful on your dining table.
I hope you get to make & enjoy it just as much as we did. It’s the perfect meal when you are too lazy to make anything elaborate.
- 300 grams Long grain rice
- 250 grams Chorizo
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 Red pepper, deseeded & diced
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 Chicken stock cubes (optional)
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2-1/2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- 2 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 8-10 peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Wash the long grain rice and soak it in sufficient water for 15-20 minutes. Drain & keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat some oil and temper the oil with the whole spices one by one, fry them on a slow flame.
- Throw in the chopped onions and sauté till they turn translucent. Toss in the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomatoes and let them cook till they turn soft and mushy.
- Now add the turmeric powder, slit chillies, diced capsicum, sugar, salt and crumbled stock cube and fry well.
- Toss in the Chorizo and sauté them well for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the drained rice, give it a mix and fry on a slow flame for a minute. Pour in 2-1/2 cups of freshly boiled water and bring it to a boil on a full flame. Check the seasoning at this point, add salt if required.
- Then reduce the flame completely to low and cover the pan with a well fitting lid to avoid the steam from escaping & cook for 8-10 minutes without opening the lid. Turn off the flame, and let it cook in its steam for another 10 mins till done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander & serve hot with a mint yogurt.
You can add in red kidney beans or butter beans along with the chorizo to make this one pot rice meal more healthier. All in one.. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this delicious Chorizo rice.. 🙂