Today’s recipe Brazilian Coxinhas- Brazilian Chicken Croquettes. Coxinha is a popular Brazilian street food made with shredded chicken and cream cheese and are encompassed in a flavourful dough and then the coxinhas are deep fried to a crispy, crunchy golden brown croquettes.
Coxinha pronounced as “CO-SHEEN-YA” which means “Little Chicken Drumstick” in Portuguese are little bomb of flavour which are traditionally shaped as chicken drumstick(a cone shaped).
These chicken coxinhas is a form of appetizer. These small delicious fried things are as good to eat are quite laborious to make. But its worth all the hard work. The texture of the dough has to be soft and moist, but the outside has to be very crispy after frying. For the best result and more flavour its best to use freshly prepared chicken stock for making the dough, instead of using those dried readymade bouillon cubes.
These are the yummiest chicken croquettes we have ever tasted, crunchy, crispy on the outside and soft, cheesy on the inside. Yummmm… There is no turning back if you have this once. Hubby just cant get enough of these little bomb of flavour. He requested me to make these for him one more time this week. Oh! let me warn you these Coxinhas are very very addictive… 😉
- 400 grams Chicken Breasts
- 150 grams Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sweetcorn
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1 cloves of Garlic, chopped
- Coriander leave chopped
- salt as per taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cup All purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Oil for deep frying
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the chicken breast, carrot, onion, celery, water and salt and bring it to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and strain the chicken stock and reserve 2 cups of stock for later use to make the dough.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it with your fingers.
- Heat oil in a pan, now saute the chopped onion and garlic until translucent, then add it to the shredded chicken.
- Mix in the sweetcorn, chillies, spring onions, coriander leaves and cream cheese, salt with the shredded chicken. Now keep it aside for an hour.
- In another saucepan, add 2 cups of the reserved broth and a teaspoon of oil and bring it to boil.
- Here comes the strenuous part. Add the flour and stir together until smooth.Then set the saucepan over medium flame and cook, stirring constantly, until the batter forms a smooth mass and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Let it cool for an hour.
- Now divide the dough into a golf sized piece. Then flatten a golf ball-sized piece of dough into a round. Place a tablespoon of the chicken filling in the middle of the round flatten dough and bring the sides of the dough up to enclose the filling. Pinch dough together at the top to seal, creating plump little teardrop-shaped pouches. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Take a coxinha and dip it in the beaten egg and let the excess drip off. Then roll it in the breadcrumbs and set it aside. Repeat with the remaining coxinhas.
- Deep fry the coxinhas in batches until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
- Enjoy this yummy, gorgeous coxinhas with some salsa or a dash of lime.
I hope you enjoy this super awesome, super tasty Coxinhas- Brazilian Chicken Croquettes.