Shortbread Fingers with Dark Chocolate and Almond Praline Dust is a rich and delicate, dense-buttery flavoured melt in the mouth biscuit. It is a very simple, quick and irresistible shortbread recipe. It fills the house with the gorgeous scent of freshly baked shortbread.
Shortbread is a type of biscuit or cookie which is made with flour, butter and sugar. Yes, just this three ingredients create this light and crumbly buttery cookie which is so hard to resist.
Today my girlies decided to catch up at my place for tea. So I decided to bake shortbread along with some other goodies instead of treating them to the store bought cookies. Nothing is better than freshly prepared shortbread cookies dipped in dark chocolate cookies sprinkled with golden dust (almond praline). Oh they are just divine. Tea and tittle-tattle along with the shortbreads is just…… 😀 You don’t come to know how the time passes when you have friends and freshly baked cookies.
To keep shortbread type cookies uncoloured but still thoroughly baked through; bake at a low temperature around 130-150 degree celsius. Baking these shortbread biscuits fill the kitchen and the house with a wonderful buttery freshly-baked smell. You can also flavour the shortbread with your own choice of vanilla, lemon zest or even lavender. I flavoured mine with vanilla extract.
- 150 grams plain flour
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 110 grams salted butter
- 60 grams caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams Dark Chocolate, melted
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 25 grams Flaked almonds
- In a large mixing bowl, Put the butter and sugar and cream together, using a wooden spoon, until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and cornflour into the bowl, mix together until smoothly combined.
- Now tip the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead to a soft dough.
- Now wrap the dough in a cling film and place the dough in the fridge and chill for atleast 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 150 degree Celsius/ 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After 30 minutes, take out the dough from the fridge and roll out the dough on a smooth surface to a thickness of 1 cms.
- Now cut into 8cms x 2cms fingers (or whatever shape you like) and prick the dough all over with a fork and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden-brown at the edges. Set aside to cool on the baking tray.
- You can enjoy this shortbread cookies as it is or make it more interesting by dipping it in chocolate.
- To make the praline dust mix sugar with a table spoon of water in a pan. bring it to a boil and then simmer until the sugar turns amber. Take it off the heat and tip in the almonds. Pour it on a tray lined with baking paper and allow it to cool. When cooled, place the hardened praline in a food processor and blend until powder.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for a minute, stirring it every few seconds so that it doesn't get burnt.
- Now to assemble dip the shortbread fingers in the dark melted chocolate and sprinkle with praline dust. Place it on the grease proof paper and leave it to set.
- Enjoy this delicious, super easy shortbread with a hot cuppa tea or coffee..
- If you are using unsalted butter, simply add a generous pinch of salt in the flour.
- Adding cornflour in this recipe gives a melt in the mouth result.
- They will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
I hope you enjoy making and eating this wonderful melt in the mouth Shortbread biscuits.