Fennel Seed Shortbread Cookies are crunchy, flakey, melt in the mouth Scottish biscuits with a mild fennel seed flavour which makes it so irresistible. Using only 5 ingredients, fill your house with the wonderful aroma of CHRISTMAS just in time for the holidays.
Ho Ho Ho…
Just 10 days to CHRISTMAS and my house has become a baking zone right now. It is filled with amazing aroma of freshly baked cookies and cakes. And my little boy is overly excited to eat all this goodies.
Few days back I had made Stained Glass Sugar cookies. Those were simple sugar cookies with a glass stained centre made with colourful hard candies. Now I made this simple, quick and irresistible Shortbread Cookies recipe. I feel Shortbread cookies are absolutely mandatory during this Holiday season.
What is Shortbread?
Shortbread is a type of Scottish biscuit or cookie which is made with flour, butter and sugar (in my case unrefined Golden caster sugar). Yes, just this three ingredients create this light and crumbly buttery cookie which is so hard to resist.
I have added fennel seeds in this shortbread which adds a lovely mild flavour to this shortbread. You can also flavour the shortbread with your own choice of vanilla, lemon zest or even lavender.
What are the ingredients used to make Fennel Seed Shortbread?
- All purpose Flour
- Unsalted flour
- Sugar ( I used golden caster sugar)
- Fennel seeds
They are very easy to make and comes together in no time. Just keep one think in mind though that the dough needs to be chilled for at least 30 minuets before baking.
Here are few Cookies recipe that you can try.
Shortbread Fingers with Dark Chocolate
Fennel Seed Shortbread Cookies
Fennel Seed Shortbread Cookies
- Large bowl
- Electric Hand whisk
- large baking tin
- 300 grams All purpose flour / Maida
- 210 Unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 100 grams Golden caster sugar/ white caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Dry roast the fennel seeds until fragrant and take it off the heat.
- Whisk the all purpose flour and ssalt together in a bowl and keep it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, put the butter and sugar and cream together, using an electric hand mixer.
- Now add the flour and the roasted fennel seeds into the bowl, mix together until just combined
- Now tip the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly to a soft dough.
- Now wrap the dough in a cling film and place the dough in the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 150 degree Celsius/ 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After 30 minutes, take out the dough from the fridge and roll out the dough on a smooth surface to a thickness of 1 cm.
- Now cut into your desired shape and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden-brown at the edges. Set aside to cool on the baking tray.
- You can enjoy this shortbread cookies as it is or make it more interesting by dipping it in chocolate.
I hope you enjoy this Fennel Seeds Shortbread Cookies as much as we do!
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!
What do you think?