Besan Ki Barfi or Gram flour Fudge is an indulgent and delicious ghee laden Indian mithai made with gram flour/ besan, ghee and sugar. This traditional Indian sweet is loved by one and all during festivities like Diwali or Holi.
Hope you are all well and excited about Diwali. Well you can see my excitement already. Full on busy with the Diwali preparation especially the sweets and snacks.
If you have missed it just recently I have shared a popular Diwali snacks Shankarpali/Shakkarpara, so addictive that you may end u making it twice before Diwali.
Today, I made delicious and fudgy besan barfi or gram flour fudge that has a melt in the mouth texture to it. It is simple to make with very few ingredients.
Ingredients used for Besan Barfi
- Besan / Gram flour or chickpea flour is a gluten-free flour available online or any super store.
- Ghee/ Clarified Butter can be easily made at home buy following this step by step Homemade ghee recipe
- Sugar: I have used granulated sugar
- Cardamom powder for flavouring the Barfi
- Water: To make the one string sugar syrup
How to make Besan barfi?
Besan ki barfi is quite simple to make just to keep a few pointers in mind. To make the barfi we start by roasting the besan in ghee on low heat. This is a little strenuous job as you have to keep stirring the besan to almost 20-25 minutes so that it gets roasted well and doesn’t get burned. Trust me all this work is worth it in the end.
In another pot add the sugar, water and bring it to a boil. Boil on medium heat until you get a one string consistency syrup. Once the sugar syrup reaches the consistency turn off the heat immediately and pour it on the roasted besan. Mix well until the syrup is incorporated. Pour it in the prepared plate and top it with nuts if you desire. When cold to touch cut the barfi into desired shapes and serve.
Why did my barfi turn hard? Why is my barfi not setting?
This may happen if the sugar syrup consistency is not right. Getting the sugar syrup right is very important while making the besan barfi. If you over cook the syrup it may result in hard barfi. And if the sugar syrup is undercooked, the barfi may not set. The sugar syrup must be of one string consistency.
Here are few Diwali recipes that you can try.
Besan Ki Barfi Recipe
Besan Ki Barfi | How to make Besan Barfi
- large thick bottomed pan/ large Kadhai
- 200 gms Besan/Gramflour
- 1/2 cup +1 tbsp r Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tbs Sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp Pistachio
- 2 tbsp Dried Rose petals (Optional)
Roasting the Besan/Gram flour
- Heat ghee in a large heavy bottomed pan on low heat. Add the gram flour and sauté on low heat, stirring continuously, for 18-20 minutes.
- It will slowly start changing colour and you will start getting a nutty aroma.
- It will become thick and leave ghee at the sides.
- Now add the cardamom powder and mix it well with the roasted besan. Then turn off the gas and set it aside. Meanwhile we prepare the sugar syrup.
Preparing the One string Sugar syrup
- Add sugar and water in a pot and boil over medium heat until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Continue boiling for 2-3 minutes and then do the one string test. Take a drop of sugar in the index finger and close by a thumb. Open the thumb and you should see a light thread forming. Getting the sugar syrup right is very important while making the besan barfi. If you over cook the syrup it may result in hard barfi. And if the sugar syrup is undercooked, the barfi may not set. The sugar syrup must be of one string consistency.
- As soon as the one string consistency is reached, switch off the gas immediately and pour the syrup on the roasted besan.
- Mix syrup well. All the syrup will be absorbed into the besan/ gram flour mixture and after 2 minutes it will become thick.
- Now pour this mixture into a greased plate and spread it around with a spoon or spatula. Decorate with chopped nuts and rose petals and set aside to cool completely for 45 minutes.
- Once cooled, cut them into desired shape. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container for later.
I hope you enjoy this BESAN KI BARFI as much as we do!
You know what guys I would love to see your creations. If you have tried this recipe, just click a pic and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!
angiesrecipesNovember 7, 2020
They look very inviting!
[email protected] BongNovember 8, 2020
Thank you so much Angie 🤗