Moist Banana Loaf with Chocolate Chips is a super delicious, incredibly moist and dense banana cake. This banana loaf is a very quick and simple, a no hassle recipe. It cannot get any easier or tastier than this!
What to do with over ripe bananas?
Who doesn’t have over ripe bananas lying around on your kitchen counter?! I do! most of the time. This shows how much of a fruit lover I am.. yikess!!
Bananas are full of energy, potassium, vitamin B and fibre but once they get too brown, who wants to eat them?
Well this recipe calls for those overripe bananas. There are very few things in life that are best past their prime – the banana is definitely one of them!
This is when these fruit reach their darkened-skinned best, crying out to be transformed into these sweet moist loaves, muffins and a range of sweet treats.
Banana loaves freezes and reheats exceptionally well.
Make an extra batch and store in the fridge or freezer. For those moments when you need something sweet to go with your morning coffee. Make your banana loaf more exciting by adding a handful of chocolate chips, toasted nuts to the batter for a delicious change. 😀
A simple banana loaf is a wonderful thing. It requires no icing and it transports very well. Banana loaf is incredibly moist and keeps well even in the heat of summer too.
Have a look at more of banana recipes
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 160 grams Caster sugar/ light muscovado sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 250 grams Plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 100ml Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 50 grams Walnuts
- 50 grams Raisins
- 50-100 grams Chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to fan 160 degrees celsius. Butter a 2lb or 13x23cms loaf tin and keep it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar with an electric whisk until creamy.Now beat in eggs one at a time. then add the vanilla extract.
- Now stir in with a wooden spoon or spatula the mashed banana, walnuts, raisins and the milk.
- Sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Then add the dry ingredients and fold in until evenly mixed. Taking care not to over mix. It is super important that you do not over stir the batter or it will turn out dry and tough. Stir just very gently and just until the flour is incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and put it in the preheated oven for 45 to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the centre should come out clean and bread should be golden on the outside.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan and place on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Slice and enjoy!
- I used light muscovado sugar, because I like the caramel flavour it gives to the bread.
- Let it rest in the tin for a little while before cutting so it has some time to set. Enjoy!
- The flavours of the loaf intensifies even more the next day. 🙂
- Bake loaf as per the recipe. Leave to cool completely at room temperature then wrap well in clingfilm and foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for 2-3 hours before serving.
I bet you will enjoy transforming those over ripe bananas into this delicious, Moist Banana Loaf with Chocolate Chips.
If you have tried this recipe, I would love to see your wonderful creation. simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram.