Himachali Kaddu Ka Khatta is a delicious pumpkin curry hailing from the pahadi region of Himachal Pradesh. Pumpkin/Kaddu is cooked in mustard oil with warm aromatic spices and finished off with tamarind and jaggery for that ultimate tangy and sweet flavour.Jump to Recipe
I love my veggies as much as I love my chicken, mutton/lamb or fish. Few days back I got one nice big chunk of pumpkin from the Indian store. I had planned to make this Bengali style Pumpkin with prawns or aloo kumro chechki. But these are quite regular at my place and I wanted something different, something that will tickle my taste buds.
And just then this Khatta Kaddu came in my mind. Kaddu means pumpkin and Khatta means tangy in Hindi. This Himachal style pumpkin curry is a perfect amalgamation of sweet, tangy and spicy flavours.
Just then I remembered about this long forgotten kaddu ka khatta. I had many many years back when we were vacationing in the northern parts of India. There are some tastes that always lingers in your taste buds.
How can forget the sweet, tangy and slightly spicy soft juicy pumpkin pieces which I had with roti. So so delicious! Sharing this amazing Kaddu Ka khatta with all of you to enjoy.
How to make Himachali Kaddu ka khatta?
As delicious as it sounds, Khatta kaddu is extremely easy and quick to make. Kaddu ka khatta is cooked in mustard oil (but if you can not find mustard oil, simply use veg/sunflower oil. But mustard oil does make a difference).
Add whole spices like bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and cumin seeds. Then toss in the pumpkin pieces along with some salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and crushed methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) and cook covered until the kaddu/pumpkin pieces are almost cooked.
Finally add tamarind and jaggery and mix everything well . cook for few more minutes. sprinkle with some coriander leaves and serve it hot with rice or roti.
If you are a pumpkin lover like me then you may also like this recipe
Follow this step by step recipe of Himachali Khatta Kaddu.
Himachali Kaddu ka Khatta | How to make Khatta Kaddu | Khatta Meetha Kaddu recipe
- large thick bottomed pan
- 500-600 grams Pumpkin/Kaddu peeled and cut into large 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 5-6 Cardamoms
- 5-6 cloves
- Pinch of Hing
- 1 tsp Chilli powder or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) roughly pounded in a pestle and motor
- 2-3 tbsp Tamarind (soak a cherry sized tamarind in 2-3 tbsp water)
- 1-2 Jaggery/sweetener/sugar
- salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil/veg oil
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat mustard oil in a thick bottomed pan until smoking point. Then reduce the heat.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and cumin seeds and hing.
- When you smell the aroma of the spices add the pumpkin/kaddu and mix every thing well.
- Now add salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and stir everything well. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the pumpkin is almost cooked.
- Now add the roughly pounded methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) and mix.
- Add the tamarind and the jaggery and mix everything well. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some freshly chopped coriander leaves and take it off the heat. Serve it hot with roti or rice.
I hope you enjoy this Himachali Kaddu ka Khatta recipe as much as we do.
If you have tried this recipe, simply click a picture and tag me @gastronomicbong or #gastronomicbong on Instagram or on Facebook.
Jesse-GabrielJuly 30, 2019
Ich liebe deine Rezepte und ganz besonders genial finde ich deine Food Fotografie!!!
Ich liebe grünen Hohhaido, Hokkaido, sweet Kabocha, Sweet Mama Kabocha Squash!
Kankana SaxenaJuly 30, 2019
You know kaddu is my absolute fav veggie and I like it with fish head (bongo food, you know 🙂 ) But this curry sounds so interesting and your photo is just gorgeous