Palak Medu Vada (Spinach Vada) are delicious urad dal fritters that is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. This protein packed keerai vadai (palak medu vada) is very addictive and loved by all family and friends when served as a snack in get togethers.
Today I am sharing a regular snacks of my household. It’s healthy, delicious, full of nutrients and my 2 year old loves it. And so do I. Adding palak to the batter makes it all the more healthier and tastier. Besides it is a very good way to sneak in veggies into this vadas without sacrificing on the taste.
I make urad dal vadas at least once a week either for breakfast or as evening snacks. Also served this as party snacks and it goes down like a breeze. This is seriously the best medu vada recipe you will ever need. Its crispy, its fluffy and irresistible.
As you can see I have not gone all traditional with the shape of the urad dal fritters. I am not a pro when it comes to shaping medu vada. But I quite feel these small balls instead of the traditional shape makes it quite fun and easy to consume during parties.
Ingredients for Keerai Vadai
All the ingredients to make this crispy and delicious medu vada with spinach is easily accessible or present in your pantry and fridge.
The main ingredient is urad dal (black gram) that I rinse and soak for 2-3 hours along with methi seeds/fenugreek seeds prior making the vadas. Let’s check out the other ingredients
- Coriander leaves
- Curry leaves
- Green chillies
- Fresh Coconut bits (optional)
- Cumin seeds
- Hing (asofoetida)
- Oil for deep frying
How to make Keerai Vadai?
Drain the water from the dal and add it to a mixer grinder. Sprinkle some water and ground it to a smooth, fluffy paste it takes around 10 mins to get to that smooth fluffy texture.
Pour it in a large bowl and add all the ingredients except the oil and beat everything with hands. I like to beat the batter with my hands here as I feel it incorporates more air to the batter making it more fluffy and crispy.
Heat oil on medium heat. When hot drop a small balls of batter in the hoyt oil (you can go all traditional by making the vada shape) and fry until crispy and golden brown on both sides. Serve it hot with chutney, sambar or ketchup.
Here are few snacks that you can try.
How to make Palak Medu Vada (Spinach Vada)?
Palak Medu Vada | Keerai Vadai In mixer grinder | How to make Medu Vada with Spinach
- mixer grinder
- Large bowl
- deep frying pan
- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds)
- 1 cup Spinach leaves tightly packed washed, dried and chopped
- 1 small Onion chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves chopped
- 8-10 Curry leaves chopped (optional)
- 2-3 Green Chillies chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coconut chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing
- Salt as per taste
- Veg Oil/ Sunflower oil for deep frying
- Rinse and soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 2 to 3 hours. Drain the water. Now add the soaked dal to the mixer grinder along with 2 tbsp of water and grind. Sprinkle water if required to get a smooth and fluffy thick batter.
- Transfer the batter in a large bowl and add the chopped spinach, onions, coriander leaves, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger, cumin seeds, hing and salt and mix everything really well. I like to beat the batter with my hands here as I feel it incorporates more air to the batter making it more fluffy and crispy.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat.
- When he oil is hot enough, drop a small portion of batter with hand or by a spoon in the hot oil. I have not made the authentic medu vada shape here, as I have made small bite sized vadas.
- Fry until the vadas turn crispy and golden brown on both the sides.
- Serve it hot with chutney, sambar or ketchup.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Palak Medu Vada (Keerai Vadai) as much as we do!