Saoji Chicken Nagpuri Style is a hot and spicy chicken curry, a true delicacy of Nagpur, Maharashtra. Saoji Chicken curry is made with a special hot and spicy Saoji masala which has a unique flavour. Total spice lovers delight!
Hello my lovely friends!
Hope you all are safe and sound and had a lovely weekend.
As you all know I hail from Mumbai, the most culturally-diverse city, I had a fair share of knowing and tasting multicultural food. This Saoji Chicken is one of them. I have had this saoji chicken during my college days at one of my Maharastrian friend’s and I still remember licking my plate off. It was just so good.
But with time I had completely forgotten about it, until one fine day my instagram friend Sanober posted the recipe in her feed. My memories came flooding back to me and I knew I had to make saoji chicken soon. And all thanks to our currently going on initiative #tryandtaste on instargam I finally made this amazing hot and spicy chicken curry following Sanober’s recipe.
The main ingredient in this chicken curry is the saoji masala. This masala is so flavourful as it made with many fragrant and warm spices like poppy seeds, dried coconut, black pepper, coriander seeds, bay leaves, green and black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and many more aromatic spices. You can double up the recipe and refrigerate, it keeps well for 2 weeks. you can also freeze it. Hop on to the recipe for detailed step by step recipe.
Here are few Chicken Curry recipes that you can try.
Saoji Chicken Nagpuri style
Saoji Chicken | Nagpur Saoji Chicken Rassa
- large thick bottomed pan
- mixer grinder
Saoji Chicken curry
- 800-1 kg Chicken
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2-1 tsp Chilli powder
- Saoji Masala (recipe below)
- Salt as per taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 3 large Onions Thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Desiccated Coconut /Dried coconut grated
- 12-14 Dried red chillies (I used half kashmiri chillies and half guntur for the spice)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 4-6 Green Cardamom
- 8 Cloves
- 2 Black cardamoms
- 1 Stone flower (Dagad phool)
- 1 tbsp Aniseeds/Fennel seeds
- 1 Mace
- 1 1/2 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds/KhusKhus
- 2 inch Ginger
- 6-7 large Garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 tbsp Oil
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the onions until golden brown. You can add some salt to fasten the process.
- Meanwhile another pan heat 1 tbsp of oil on medium low heat. Now add all he dry whole spices except the coconut,ginger and garlic and and saute until fragrant.
- Finally add the coconut and saute until golden and fragrant.
- Add fried onions, ginger, garlic, sauteed spices in a mixer grinder and ground it into a smooth paste with minimal water.
Saoji Chicken Curry
- Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large kadhai or pan heat oil on high heat. Add the marinated chicken and fry on high heat until it develops a lovely golden colour.
- Now add the prepared saoji masala to the chicken and mix everything well.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes with the masala.
- Add water as per your desired consistency and bring it to a boil.
- Then lower the heat and cover and cook for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve it hot with rice, roti or bhakri along with onion and lime.
I hope you enjoy this Nagpuri Style Saoji Chicken as much as we do!
Stay Safe! Stay Positive!