Methi Chicken or lasooni methi chicken curry is a rich and luscious chicken curry flavoured with methi dana (fenugreek seeds) and lots of garlic. A total flavour bomb. This garlicky fenugreek chicken curry is just like a party in your palate and is perfectly paired with luchi (puffed fried bread), roti or basmati rice.
Hello my lovely friends!!!
So lately, I was really getting bored of my own chicken curries and desperately needed a change. Is it just me or this happens to you too sometimes.. errrr!!!!
Anyways, may be its just me. yikes!! I sometimes need a change in taste and look for recipes which is delicious and also super easy to make.
So enters my mother in law’s “Methi Chicken”. Oh my god believe me when I say this chicken curry is just out of the world. I had this luscious curry after my marriage and just got hooked. It has such a unique flavour, in a very gooooood way, not the usual chicken curry or chicken kosha that we eat on regular basis.
Did I ever tell you my MIL is an amazing cook. Oh yes! I am sure I did… And I have shared so many of her amazing recipes here too. My MIL’s recipes are so simple yet so delicious.
There are many more amazing recipes of my MIL that I will share in the future with you all.
Lasooni methi chicken (Garlicy fenugreek Chicken curry)
Now lets get back to this Lasooni Methi Chicken. This chicken curry has quite a lot of surprising elements. It not the usual methi chicken, that is prepared with methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) or kasoori methi(dried fenugreek leaves). This chicken curry is beautifully flavoured with fenugreek seeds and lots of garlic.
This is a semi dry to dry chicken curry that goes well with luchi(puffed fried bread) and roti and rice. It is not only uber delicious but also super easy to make. This curry is a combination of all thing yum. It is spicy, tangy and sweet. An absolute flavourbomb!!
Simply marinate the chicken with yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, sliced onions, chilies, salt, mustard oil and vinegar.
Yes! Vinegar add a distinct flavour and tanginess to this chicken curry.
Marinate the chicken for an hour or overnight or if you haev no time straightaway cook it. I have tried it all and it tastes awesome anyways.
Rest just start by tempering the oil with bay leaves, whole garam masala(slightly crushed), methi seeds. then add garlic and onions and fry for few minutes. then simply toss in the marinated chicken and cook on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through and you see oil separating from the gravy.
Methi Chicken | How to cook Lasooni Methi Chicken
- 800 gms Chicken (I used chicken legs, but you can use curry cut as well.
- 2 large Onions sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Vinegar
- 2-3 Green Chillies slit
- 1 tbsp Chilli powder (or as per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil/veg oil/sunflower oil
For the curry
- 1 Onion sliced
- 6-7 large garlic cloves sliced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 5-6 cloves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil/ veg oil /sunflower oil I used mustard oil
- handful Coriander leaves chopped
- In a large bowl, put all the ingredients under marination and mix everything well with hands.
- Keep aside for an hour or 2. If possible keep it marinated in the fridge overnight.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan on medium heat, then add the mustard oil (if using mustard oil then let the oil heat up to a smoking point and then reduce the heat).
- When oil is hot add the bay leaf, slightly crushed cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. When you get the beautiful aroma then add the methi seeds.
- When the methi seeds sizzles, add the sliced garlic and fry for few seconds until the golden( make sure it doesn’t burn) then add the sliced onions and fry until translucent.
- Now pour in the marinated chicken along with the marination and keep on sautéing on medium heat, stirring continuously. The chicken will release lot of water.
- Cook it uncovered for 15-20 minutes till the chicken is almost done and the oil separates from the masala.
- Add half cup of warm water and mix everything well. Check for the seasoning, add salt and sugar if required.
- Cover and cook on low heat for another 10-15 minutes.
- When the chicken is completely cooked, crank up the flame and fry the chicken till its semi dry and tou see oil separating from the gravy.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve it with luchi, roti or rice.
I hope you enjoy this Lasooni Methi Chicken as much as we do!!!