Vermicelli Upma | How to make Sevai Upma. A delicious and nutritious Indian breakfast. This healthy breakfast is made with vermicelli and few spices and is quick and extremely easy to whip up under 30 minutes. And this super tasty sevai upma is a toddler approved meal as well.
Hello my lovely peeps!!
Today, I am sharing a quick and easy Indian breakfast recipe. Hmm.. I just realised I don’t have many breakfast recipes on my blog.
Well, except for this popular Bengali recipe Aloo Chechki (Potato curry with Nigella seeds) which I had a shared recently. I think I have to do a series of delicious and quick breakfast soon.
Vermicelli Upma | How to make Sevai Upma
Now back to this hearty breakfast. Upma is basically a popular South Indian breakfast that is made with sooji/rava/semolina. This vermicelli upma is a similar take on this popular meal.
I can eat this upma not only for breakfast but also for lunch and dinner as well. It is just so delicious. And the more important thing is that, it can be made well under 30 mins, which has become a necessity now as most of my time goes in entertaining my 22 months old.
And and and this sevai upma is toddler approved too. My baby loves this more that sooji upma and can clean off a bowlful of vermicelli upma in no time. So yes this is a toddler and a mom approved recipe.
You can always control the amount of spiciness you add to this if you are making this for your toddlers or kids. This semiya upma makes a great snack for kids and also great for their school lunch boxes.
Vermicelli Upma | How to make Sevai upma
- 1 cup Vermicelli (sevai)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1/2 inch Ginger grated
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp ghee/ sunflower oil / vegetable oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- handful coriander leaves chopped
- In a large pot boil 2 cups of water. add a pinch of salt in the water. Add the vermicelli to the boiling water. Boil the vermicelli until tender Test to see whether the vermicelli is done. Remove it from from heat and drain.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai on medium heat.
- When the oil is hot enough add the mustard seeds and when it starts to splatter add the curry leaves and chilies and fry for few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and fry until soft and translucent.
- Then add the grated ginger and sauté for 1 minute. Toss in the chopped tomatoes and salt and continue sautéing until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Now add the boiled vermicelli or sevai and mix everything well.
- Sauté for few minutes and check the seasoning. Add salt if required.
- Lastly add lime/lemon juice and chopped coriander. Give a nice mix and take it off the heat.
- Serve vermicelli upma hot with some chai.
I hope you enjoy making and eating this Vermicelli upma (sevai upma) as much as we do!!!