Okra and Potato Fry – Aloo Bhindi Bhaji is a quick, simple and a healthy dish and can be prepared within under 30 minutes with few ingredients.
“Life itself is the proper binge.”
~ Julia Child
Happy Monday Lovelies!!
Hope all of you had a fabulous weekend!
I had an amazing time.. Catch up with old friends, badminton, wine and so much good food. Delicious and rich food. 😀
So the next day we wanted a simple meal, something quick and healthy and ofcourse delicious. Nothing fancy and absolutely effortless and quick just like dal(lentil soup), rice and a dry vegetable dry dish.
I had bought some fresh and tender Okra/bhindi. So decided to prepare this Okra and Potato Fry – Aloo Bhindi Bhaji with less ingredients and minimum masalas as possible.
This Okra and Potato Fry – Aloo Bhindi Bhaji is extremely easy to make and can be prepared within under 30 minutes.
Okra or Bhindi or Ladies Finger or Gumbo.. This amazing vegetable has so many names.. 😀
Okra / Bhindi is not to everyone’s taste.. You either like it or hate it.
But me, I love Okra and so does my husband. We totally devour this vegetable.
Okra is naturally slimy, so many people avoid cooking it because of its sliminess. But trust me the trick is to cook the okra long enough about 14-15 minutes, uncovered, without adding water, so that the sliminess disappears.
Okra or Bhindi is something that is prepared in most Indian households on a daily basis.
Each and every state and each and every family has a different way of preparing Bhindi/okra.
Here is a Spicy Bhindi Masala (Spicy Okra Masala) that I had made earlier. It is extremely delicious with onion-tomato base gravy and freshly grated coconut. Simply YUM!
But this Okra fry (bhindi bhaji) is so simple, requires few ingredients and is not complicated at all to make. Its just a simple stir fry with very little masala powder and in the end I like to sprinkle some of the roasted cumin-chilli powder (here is the recipe) which is optional though. But I love the earthy flavour it gives to this Okra and Potato stir fry (Bhindi Bhaji).
I hope you enjoy making and eating this Okra and Potato Fry – Aloo Bhindi Bhaji.
- 450 gms Okra (Bhindi/Ladies Finger), washed and pat dried with a towel and cut into slim rings
- 1 medium Potato, washed and peeled and cut into 1 1/2 cms cubes
- 1 small Onions, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds/ fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil/olive oil
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin-chilli powder (optional)
- Heat oil in a large wok or pan, then temper the oil with fenugreek seeds.
- When it starts to sizzle add chopped onions and sauté for couple of minutest.
- Now add the potatoes and for for 2-3 minutes, the toss in the okra (bhindi) and the chopped green chillies and stir so that it mixes well with the onions and potatoes.
- Now add the coriander powder and salt and mix gently well so that it coats okra slices well.
- Fry on low to medium heat, uncovered for around 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
- By this time all the sliminess of the okra will disappear. The okra will be tender and will remain slightly green too with bite and the potatoes will be cooked.
- Check the seasoning, add salt if required.
- Lastly add the roasted cumin-chilli powder and toss gently and cook further for a minute or 2.
- Remove from the heat and serve it hot with a side of rice or roti.